Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, I'd be studying this vid for a long time to see what went wrong:

The blurb on CNN said something about 85 mph winds - hell, we get that around here every time a politician opens their yap...

Reactions: festerized

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
missing a few shear walls on that one! shooter got a shot at the right time for that vid

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
Aside from the workmanship that may or may not have been done properly, thankfully this happened on the weekend when nobody was working there on site.

Could have changed the tone of the whole discussion.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sheathing on entire building seems to have come off in whole 4 x 8 sheets. I can't imagine how that would be possible unless it had not been nailed completely. Maybe framing crew hung wall and roof sheets and planned to come back later to finish nailing off. That would be extra work. Strange situation. I'll be interested to hear more.

·
mindmapping it all!
142 Posts
Sheathing on entire building seems to have come off in whole 4 x 8 sheets. I can't imagine how that would be possible unless it had not been nailed completely. Maybe framing crew hung wall and roof sheets and planned to come back later to finish nailing off. That would be extra work. Strange situation. I'll be interested to hear more.
that is what I was thinking. just run through and tack it off leaving the rest for the new guy to nail then wrap it last. maybe the drywallers put the sheathing on those houses

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, now compare this pic with the vid. Clearly, the plate to foundation anchors failed. But what struck me, was how intact the main dwelling still is.

This is a modular built home.

BTW, the stick-built 2-car garage it "had" was nothing but blown rubble strewn out along the back yard.

This place is about 20 minutes from where I live. Find a way to drag the place back over the foundation, and it would still be structurally sound.

Attachments

Reactions: slowsol

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
SmallTownGuy said:
So, now compare this pic with the vid. Clearly, the plate to foundation anchors failed. But what struck me, was how intact the main dwelling still is. This is a modular built home. BTW, the stick-built 2-car garage it "had" was nothing but blown rubble strewn out along the back yard. This place is about 20 minutes from where I live. Find a way to drag the place back over the foundation, and it would still be structurally sound.

It's still a piece of chit

·
Registered
435 Posts
fourcornerhome said:
I worked for a boss once that had us remove braces way too early....usually right after he bumps his head on one......
I think this was the case. Taking braces off should be the last thing a framer does. Not enough braces. Plus I think plywood is missing on walls where wind came in, side you don't see on video.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I had to go to Raleigh and Chapel Hill yesterday, and after seeing this video on the news all weekend, I was expecting to see havoc every where. heck I didn't even see a leaf or limb in the road.

I was wondering if this was the only building in that area to receive any damage.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It almost appears that all the bracing is removed or not installed in the basement. You can see the closet building move sideways almost immediately. Also when the second building almost hits the ground, you can see bare studding behind the garage which would indicate that this wall wasn't sheeted and the only forward brace would be the four foot sheet on the corner. Looks like the basement walls failed in both directions. That's a framers nightmare.

·
Pro
37 Posts
Definitely not enough nails in any of the the sheathing. Not enough of a shear wall. Also i guess the workers were getting ancy putting house wrap on with the 3 small piece of it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts