Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my wife a hair cutting salon last summer. Everybody loves it, we like the new landscape.

The challenge is cleaning up after the Mamosa tree. Love the tree hate the mess. I can rake up the mess easy enough but the darn redwood mulch comes with it.

So my horticulture brothers, what can I do? New mulch, what kind?

Be kind, I'm fragile.

Property Yard Backyard Home House

Tree Soil Grass Leaf Plant

Property Tree Backyard House Landscape

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,718 Posts
Why don't you use that Festool vacuum, you and invite Warner over to help :w00t:

·
Registered
7 Posts
What about some decorative gravel. 1/2" size or slightly larger will stay down when you rake the sticky Mimosa drop.

My .02, good luck.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much you want to spend? Mondo grass or liriope would look good in there.
Is that Hawaii born stuff or can us Howlies get it too?
I have no idea what it is that you are talking about. Got pictures? Tell me more.

What about some decorative gravel. 1/2" size or slightly larger will stay down when you rake the sticky Mimosa drop.

My .02, good luck.
I got rid of more stone out of that yard than I care to share. Wife would kill me with a look if I was to suggest stone.
Not to say it's a bad idea but not what we want to do.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You removed the STONE??? Oh My God I've lost all respect for you as a man now.
I wish I had a before picture with all that white ass stone.

If I have lost any respect for that act of visual liberty so be it.:laughing:

It was bad, believe me.

·
Registered
7 Posts

It was bad, believe me.
I agree, white stone sucks. Good call to get ride if it. There are some beautiful colors available around here. I have no idea what is available in Santa Rosa.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

It was bad, believe me.
Couldn't you paint it green? I guess if you replace with somthin you don't have to MOW yer still the man!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,718 Posts
A nice pre finished Birch would look excellent.

·
Crash Test Dummy
2,210 Posts
Is that Hawaii born stuff or can us Howlies get it too?
I have no idea what it is that you are talking about. Got pictures? Tell me more.

I got rid of more stone out of that yard than I care to share. Wife would kill me with a look if I was to suggest stone.
Not to say it's a bad idea but not what we want to do.
There's a couple different varieties of mondo. prefer the dwarf mondo myself. Should be fairly common in CA. Mondo grass is not actually grass. It's lily family, and prefers shade and moisture, but tolerates drought. http://images.google.com/images?oe=...q=mondo grass&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/OF-28.pdf Liriope is similar, but gets a lot taller. Both are very low maintenance.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's a couple different varieties of mondo. prefer the dwarf mondo myself. Should be fairly common in CA. Mondo grass is not actually grass. It's lily family, and prefers shade and moisture, but tolerates drought. http://images.google.com/images?oe=...q=mondo grass&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/OF-28.pdf Liriope is similar, but gets a lot taller. Both are very low maintenance.
Thanks Charlie

Maybe I used the wrong term. What I want to do is add more bark, mulch or something in between the plants that are there. And want to know if there is a particular type that would lay down and stay put better than the rest.

I'm sure I can get the answer locally. Not a big deal, thought I would feed you boys a bone and see what came of it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,718 Posts
I think what you want to get are chips or chunks instead of shredded material. It will be bigger and heavier. It should stay down better. It will give a rougher look to the ground unlike the smooth mulch look.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Maybe I'm missing the point of the original post...

You are gathering the Mimosa fallout with what means? A leaf blower? Water spray? Rake?

In any case your ground cover material would need to be heavy so as not to blow, wash or rake away. Correct?

Other than ball bearings or indoor-outdoor carpet, rocks in some form is the only material I can think of.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,718 Posts
Ohhhhhhh...How about glass marbles, specifically Aggies. That would be cool lookin :laughing:

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
I built my wife a hair cutting salon last summer. Everybody loves it, we like the new landscape.

The challenge is cleaning up after the Mamosa tree. Love the tree hate the mess. I can rake up the mess easy enough but the darn redwood mulch comes with it.

So my horticulture brothers, what can I do? New mulch, what kind?

Be kind, I'm fragile.
"I want to say one word to you.

Just one word.

Are you listening?"

Pavers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts