Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats, I've been in the market as well.
I have been watching this on ebay. Today I went over and saw it first hand, as it was only about 5 miles from our current site. Heated cab and 4 nearly new tires are a huge plus. I have been looking for several months. In about 3 weeks we are going out of town to frame two houses side by side. The lift will get transported there and remain for probably 4 months.

·
Always Learning
8,721 Posts
Warren said:
I have been watching this on ebay. Today I went over and saw it first hand, as it was only about 5 miles from our current site. Heated cab and 4 nearly new tires are a huge plus. I have been looking for several months. In about 3 weeks we are going out of town to frame two houses side by side. The lift will get transported there and remain for probably 4 months.
Oh yeah new tires is a huge plus! Foam filled? I don't mind an open cab as we are in and out all the time. Now if I was driving it all day the the cab would be nice.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, foam filled tires. Supposedly, this machine was used mostly indoors by a Pa company that made blast furnaces. It is incredibly clean. I have a mason friend who has owned several Lulls who is going to give it a once over tomorrow before I commit. The seller was very insistent about giving me the opportunity to have someone inspect it. When I saw it today, it fired right up and went through all the motions. No noticeable leaks, and overall nice. WE are thinking of driving it over to our current site which is about 5 country road miles away.

·
Always Learning
8,721 Posts
Warren said:
Yes, foam filled tires. Supposedly, this machine was used mostly indoors by a Pa company that made blast furnaces. It is incredibly clean. I have a mason friend who has owned several Lulls who is going to give it a once over tomorrow before I commit. The seller was very insistent about giving me the opportunity to have someone inspect it. When I saw it today, it fired right up and went through all the motions. No noticeable leaks, and overall nice. WE are thinking of driving it over to our current site which is about 5 country road miles away.
That's nice to have another set of eyes. Our seller took the time to show us things to look for. We have driven ours a little further than that on country roads, but that's still a hall!

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Being used inside would be a huge plus I would think. All the nasty abuse happens outside in the mud, rock and dust.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In a few years you will look back and say how did I do that before we had the lift. Now I find myself moving the lift from job to job more than I should but too lazy to do some things the old way. I have a lull and love it. I really love the traversing carriage. That extra 7' in front makes a big difference.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Could never frame without one. I got some expensive repairs coming my way, pump service and lift cylinders got a minor leak. Even with all that the machine makes me money. You'll Find a million more reasons to use it then not. Consider possibly buying a jib for it as the extra bit of reach will come in handy for beams.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
This will extend your career.I won't drive mine over 5 miles at a time.It will take you awhile to get used to it and the way you set your jobsite up to maximize having it.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This will extend your career.I won't drive mine over 5 miles at a time.It will take you awhile to get used to it and the way you set your jobsite up to maximize having it.
That was a huge concern. At 47, I don't have too many years left framing. Three years ago, I thought our framing days were nearly over. We had gone to about 75% remodels/additions. Then all of a sudden, the economy bounced back and we are framing large homes again.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Please share your experiences after using it a while. I'm curious how others have done in this price range as well. I've been renting them for $3000 a month, usually a month per house or big project, and that adds up, but at least it's a fixed and known price - no maintenance.

·
Super Moderator
28,872 Posts
Good for you, Warren. You certainly earned it.

·
Super Moderator
10,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got it delivered yesterday and played with it for a little bit. Didn't really do anything useful with it yet. Monday I will probably build a simple wood box for temporary use. One of my guys worked as a welder and is going to make up a truss jib and possibly a metal basket.

We were hoping to install a bunch of Hardi shakes this week using the lift, but they delivered the wrong style (about 25k worth!) and now we wont get those for two weeks. After Christmas we will ship the Lull up north 100 miles away where we will build two homes. I figure I have about a month to practice/play with it before we put it to rugged use.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts