Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local rooter company has a commercial in which they say the do the right thing when nobody is looking. To me, that is repulsive. It implies that the majority of other contractors are dishonest, and they are the exception to the rule.

I know we are all competing in a limited market. If you are a top notch outfit...great, but we certainly don't need to imply that the majority of the competition is crooked. Granted, this was a rooter outfit, but I have seen hvac outfits that claim to be "honest" as well, and it makes me sick.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
A local rooter company has a commercial in which they say the do the right thing when nobody is looking. To me, that is repulsive. It implies that the majority of other contractors are dishonest, and they are the exception to the rule.

I know we are all competing in a limited market. If you are a top notch outfit...great, but we certainly don't need to imply that the majority of the competition is crooked. Granted, this was a rooter outfit, but I have seen hvac outfits that claim to be "honest" as well, and it makes me sick.
If you have to tell someone you are honest or will not rip them off, doesn't that tell you something about them?

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
isn't most advertising like that?and don't you think most people generally take it that way

i don't know im no advertising genie:party:

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not an advertising genie either.

It's one thing to claim to be more thorough, on time, clean...etc. But, when you throw integrity into the scheme of things, you are implying that the majority of the competition isn't honest. As contractors go, there already is a bad rep for the field (warranted or not). Then, here comes Joe Blow who jumps on the righteous bus at the expense of everybody else, and doesn't have to do anything to show how they are "honest".

Anyway, it was just a topic...;) Another pet peeve are businesses that are called ______rite or rite-way_____. If you claim to do something correctly, shouldn't you spell the word right r-i-g-h-t? ....... Too much time on my hands.

·
"Pro"
628 Posts
Another pet peeve are businesses that are called ______rite or rite-way_____. If you claim to do something correctly, shouldn't you spell the word right r-i-g-h-t? ....... Too much time on my hands.
A little off topic but that reminded me of a truck I saw the other day for a concrete company that advertised cement driveways and cement sidewalks. Come to think of it their name was so and so cement work.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Its funny this post came up caus I was just thinking the other day, when I am done and checking around I think what would the guys in here say about my work.
I am no guru thats for sure I am to young, but I want to do a great job and thinking that you guys would be walking my job makes me triple check everything

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
That is the loose description for integrity. That is all they mean.
Yep.

Many people dont understand that.

I've been thinking of adding a link to my webpage allowing users to look up criminal records in my state, just to allow them to know who they are dealing with, whether they deal with me or not. I'm surrounded by contractors will felony records, and a revolving door of bailed-out employees. One company has a dozen hits for bailing out employees for theft and drug charges over the last couple years. One i know for a fact was eventually convicted for about 6k of theft from one of their customers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yep.

Many people dont understand that.

I've been thinking of adding a link to my webpage allowing users to look up criminal records in my state, just to allow them to know who they are dealing with, whether they deal with me or not. I'm surrounded by contractors will felony records, and a revolving door of bailed-out employees. One company has a dozen hits for bailing out employees for theft and drug charges over the last couple years. One i know for a fact was eventually convicted for about 6k of theft from one of their customers.
A good lawyer would have you by the short hairs if you did that.

A "consumer advocacy group" put up a site where you could check doctors' malpractice record.

An anti-trust suit was brought against the group for 'impedance of commerce".
The doctors won.

And personally I think it would be shameful of you to try to increase your business by embedding such a link.

If I was a customer looking for a service and I saw your link I would think you a small and spiteful person and i would move on to the next contractor

That is just down right wrong.:furious:

·
MHIC licensed contractor
154 Posts
A good lawyer would have you by the short hairs if you did that.

A "consumer advocacy group" put up a site where you could check doctors' malpractice record.

An anti-trust suit was brought against the group for 'impedance of commerce".
The doctors won.

And personally I think it would be shameful of you to try to increase your business by embedding such a link.

If I was a customer looking for a service and I saw your link I would think you a small and spiteful person and i would move on to the next contractor

That is just down right wrong.:furious:
Its a good thing for me that there is no NCACATBAEEA.
(National Crack Addicted Contractors and their Breaking and Entering Employees Association)

But if there was, i suppose they would also sue the state district court for putting the information online for free as a matter of public record?

Thats a whole lot of diamond rings and plasma TV's they would have to steal to pay for the lawyers. Pawn shops only pay about 10%.

A civil suit for malpractice is different than a criminal record. I'm not posting names, just a link to the state run resource.

Until these guys learn to stay off my customers jobsites and out of my trucks at night, I dont mind being thought of as "small and spitefull".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Its a good thing for me that there is no NCACATBAEEA.
(National Crack Addicted Contractors and their Breaking and Entering Employees Association)

But if there was, i suppose they would also sue the state district court for putting the information online for free as a matter of public record?

Thats a whole lot of diamond rings and plasma TV's they would have to steal to pay for the lawyers. Pawn shops only pay about 10%.

A civil suit for malpractice is different than a criminal record. I'm not posting names, just a link to the state run resource.

Until these guys learn to stay off my customers jobsites and out of my trucks at night, I dont mind being thought of as "small and spitefull".
It was not a district attorney who put the site up. It was advocacy group.

You are changing up on your story a bit . But you do what you want.

I still think a person would question why you have a link to a criminal data base unless you want them to find theses offenders you mention but I don't think and I am glad you can't capitalize on it.

·
Registered
142 Posts

SOLID.can i work for u in 10 yrs.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Personal foul on Hf, for unnecessary roughness...;) Penalty to be determined in ten years.

Ex-patriot, your intentions to put up a data base on peoples criminal records is wrong, and likely would draw away a lot of potential clients. I agree with Mr. Lover. Just because some of your competition has a shady history doesn't give you the right to "out" their personal past history.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts