Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just saw WD is running TV commercials for their MyCloud. It's a cheap and simple NAS drive with remote access. I had it since December or so. Hated it. Too simple to really do anything well and PLAGUED with firmware bugs. They keep updating the firm ware but each time more things are wrong. Go look at the forums on their webpage, loaded with pissed off clients and that is with them deleting many negative posts.

I gutted the WD Hardrive from it and placed it in a a Synology 213j.

Wow, worlds better. Not only is the hardware better but the user interface is ten times better and guess what, zero bugs I have found.

Remote connectivity is great and so far more reliable then MyCloud.

The automatic backups work without a hitch, I have mine set to back up twice a day but the parameter are so versatile you can have it do whatever, whenever. MyCloud failed to back up and your choices on what to back up and when are very limited.

My 213j stores a record of recent changes to files so if something needs to be undeleted or restored to a previous state, I can. Not an option on MyCloud.

I can access the control panel from my phone on the fly, another problem with MyCloud. If you have a problem while your out, you have to go to the physical location and log in on a computer. The 213j control panel has many cool add on apps that help you control and monitor almost every aspect of your 213j.

WD servers, which act as a middle man between you and MyCloud are unreliable, they were down for a week, last week.

So if your looking for your own cloud or Network Attached Storage, forget WD MyCloud.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
You are comparing the world's cheapest nas to a premium nas, no comparison.

I exclusively sell QNAP and Synology. Both fantastic devices.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You are comparing the world's cheapest nas to a premium nas, no comparison.

I exclusively sell QNAP and Synology. Both fantastic devices.
Exactly. But most people don't even know anything about NAS and the MyCloud is about the only thing you see advertised, and it is made out to be the only NAS out there. That is how I ended up with it... Once I had it and got to fed up with it, a few hours of research showed me there are much better options out there.

Again it's a cheap and simple nas, so it performs like one...barely. Remote access and syncing are far and away better which is key for my business partner. The NAS is in my home, so he is remotely connected for almost all his work. We are almost paperless, so It's alot.

My DS213j was 190 dollars with no drives. MyCloud was 150 with a 2 TB WD Red harddrive. Same harddrive costs 100 dollars alone. So the MyCloud is 50 bucks worth of hardware, software, firmware and support...vs the Synology's 200 dollars worth of the same.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Exactly. But most people don't even know anything about NAS and the MyCloud is about the only thing you see advertised, and it is made out to be the only NAS out there. That is how I ended up with it... Once I had it and got to fed up with it, a few hours of research showed me there are much better options out there.

Again it's a cheap and simple nas, so it performs like one...barely. Remote access and syncing are far and away better which is key for my business partner. The NAS is in my home, so he is remotely connected for almost all his work. We are almost paperless, so It's alot.

My DS213j was 190 dollars with no drives. MyCloud was 150 with a 2 TB WD Red harddrive. Same harddrive costs 100 dollars alone. So the MyCloud is 50 bucks worth of hardware, software, firmware and support...vs the Synology's 200 dollars worth of the same.
How much storage do you need?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Not much LOL. I have 1.78TB free on my NAS so far....and this is with me also running personal stuff on there. On avg, it is 4 gb a year worth of data from the business.
Don't bother with a nas, go cloud.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I would say do cloud too if its amounts that low. Some of them give you unreal data allowance for little to no money a year. I'm adding another 8TB in the next few weeks which puts me up in the 20TB range.
You have 20TB of cloud storage for little to no money?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts