Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Punching above his weight
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently embroiled in Job A. I got called in to build a theatre seating platform and paint said theatre.

On this job there is:

1. Guy I'm subbing for, theatre designer.
2. Guy he's subbing for, AV guy who's running the theatre portion of the build.
3. GC who's running the total house build.
4. Designer? Spiritual guru? Completely unnecessary dude?
5. Homeowner who refuses to lean on anyone to complete anything.

Basically, I'm at the bottom of the hill on a chit slides downhill job.
After a 2 week past the date I was told I could start, and had planned to start, I was finally told the room was ready to be painted.
In that two weeks I build the platform and watched the guys do the drywall touch ups, of which there were many. The designers kept telling me, "you're going to have to sand before you paint. You know, just make sure it's up to your standards." I told them repeatedly, politely, "No, you didn't pay for my standards. You're already paying someone to do the drywall. Obviously I'll sand some spots that need touching up, but there's no way I'm putting my name on someone else's work without getting paid for it."

This went on for the two weeks then I was finally called back in to paint this week. I don't want to say it was in bad shape, but it left something to be desired in places.
I paint it.
The next day I get a call. All 5 people are there and nobody is happy with my paint job. I ask what's wrong and they say the walls needed to be spackled better.

Ummm, what? So spackle them better.

I'm not really going anywhere with this. I think I just needed to type that out.
I'm not crazy though, right? It's the painters job to do touch sanding and fill whatever nicks or dings are there while he's working, but it's in no way his job to take ownership of the drywall, correct?
I mean, by that logic, why can't I just pay it forward and say that the trim guys should fix my paint?

·
Super Moderator
28,759 Posts
Half azz GC getting half azz work done and like all PC' s hangs the whole cluster on the painter.

·
Super Moderator
28,759 Posts
The obvious question is, why did you paint it? Did you think they were going to accept "something to be desired"? Sounds like you own it at this point. :sad:
BS, imo. The drywall was completed by a different sub. It hangs on the GC. Bust that wallet out pardner. Its the GCs responsibility to check each trade and call in the next. The painter isnt his QC guy or superintendent.

·
Super Moderator
28,759 Posts
I get that, but you call me in to put my name on a job, that ain't happening if it's not ready for me.
Most people don't think like that when they are subcontracting from a builder. My painter is very good, but he would paint over the crappiest drywall surface you've ever seen if I told him it was time to paint. Although he would certainly complain that the drywall was going to mess up his awesome paint work. Humble is not one of his traits:laughing:

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Hopefully your agreement makes clear that you are painting but not finishing the drywall.

I say this is on the drywall finisher. Of course it is also on the GC because he called to have paint done when it was not ready.

I would politely tell the GC, the owner, the drywall finisher, and everyone else involved, with a letter written to each of them (the identical letter, cc each of them) that you were hired to paint surfaces provided by others not to provide the surface upon which to paint. Then explain that if they wanted additional work from you, including drywall finishing, they may contract with you to do that additional work, it is not available for free.

Ultimately, you are responsible only to the guy you contracted with. It was his responsibility to insure that when he called you to do your thing the jobsite was ready for you.

·
Punching above his weight
12,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with all of you.

This was my third trip down there to start painting. The first two I sent it back to the kitchen for a little more time in the oven. I really just wanted to be done with it this time, to be honest.
This job is huge and my component is obviously very small. I think this is the only thing these other 5 guys have going but, as a little fish, my month is made up of a dozen tiny jobs. I really can't let this one dominate my entire month, which it has. Shuffling 5 customers who have their paperwork in order for one guy who doesn't isn't fair to anyone.
Sheesh.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
its like playing tag, and you being the last one to touch it, is it

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
You touched it. Its yours. And youre outnumbered. If somehow you can finesse time and money out of them youre a better negotiator than me but this is how it will go ... ho bitches to guru, guru bitches to gc, drywall guy says I did what you asked with extra touch ups pay me, av guy cant get paid til yer done and says fix it, gc says fix it ho says fix it and pita guru pulls and bunch of koombyah out his perfumed butthole and says fix it thatd be grrrrreat for the energy in the spaaaace.

·
Super Moderator
28,759 Posts
I don't know why I take this stuff so hard, but this thread is pissing me off so bad that it is going to mess up my lunch break. Lol

Reactions: Kowboy

·
General Contractor
8,074 Posts
IMO when sheetrock and taping is done by someone else, they're responsible to have the wall taped and sanded to be painted.
I use the same type of set up... but when my painting contractor goes in, he checks the wall and marks missed spots which need to be sanded.

After that is done, he paints the house. Since the taper cannot tell how his taping and sanding job will look after painting, if there is major issues, they will come and touch it up before the final paint coat of paint is applied. If there is minor issues like a spot here or there my painter will take care of it, paint the walls and before the job is ready to be delivered to the customer he will do minor touch ups.
I never asked this to be done in this order, this is how my painter handles all his jobs.

With that said, I never had a single issue with a paint job.

On the general note, when so many people involved, and when you submit job proposals, you have to clearly indicate that the price you give is to do ABC, DEF is done by others and extra charges will apply for extra work or any delays.
This way everyone is on the same page and there is no finger pointing.

Good luck I hope you work it out.

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
What I hear you saying is that you really respect and enjoy working with "design gurus".
Have you worked for or with a designer who saved you time and money with an effectjve schedule, good implementable design choices made before you start and a willingness to nod and pull out the check book every time they have a new time consuming idea?

I find they typically want to drone on about for hours at a time about their great ideas before expressing complete exasperation and sometimes downright anger at the idea that more work costs more money. Two weeks ago I had one that wanted me to jump on board painting lime green stripes all over a 15k square foot office space, for free. "Dont you think that would be cool?" "That would cost several thousand dollars." "Reaaaallly? I could help..."

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
....Two weeks ago I had one that wanted me to jump on board painting lime green stripes all over a 15k square foot office space, for free. "Dont you think that would be cool?" "That would cost several thousand dollars." "Reaaaallly? I could help..."
So did you let them help?

I know what you're saying. Everyone's dealt with a designer like that. Some pride themselves on not being concerned with price or feasibility. Some are fine, though - the ones who've been in the business for 30 or 40 years and know that it's important to get the client back into their house.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
"Reaaaallly? I could help..."
SURE! I only add 75% to the price if you 'help' :laughing:

Most 'Designers' are the biggest PITA on any job. They think they're so friggin smart and you're the dumbass. If I'm subbing something and the builder wants me to meet with the designer, I cringe (or suddenly have to check on another jobsite). Although I should say I've worked with a few who knew their chit. Not many, but a few.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts