Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Most of this info given out is learned through many hours of testing and comparing and money spent and wasted. What type of look are you going for? Wet look, shiny, matte finish, natural finish? If you want shiny and very low build try diamond clear from golden look in Texas.

Get a hold of [email protected] and tell her Troy Kamps from Green Bay, WI sent you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks very much Troy,
..Im going for a semi-gloss finish on this. Its in a bathroom w/ alot of slate and flat finishes so i dont want to get too glossy. Any ideas for that finish? Ive been scouring around locally and am coming up with alot of "driveway sealer is the same thing", and am a bit leary.

btw: I went through your website. That fiber-optic countertop is incredible:thumbsup:

thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Concrete Densifiers are the Key

It seems to me that lithium silicate densifier in combination with a hybrid lithium silicate sealer is going to give you the best looking and most durable stain resistant finish. The best part is that once the application is finished it lasts forever. Because you actually change the make-up of the pores inside the concrete, your concrete is virtually in-destructible. This is the step concrete needed to finally put the debate of granite over concrete to rest. This combo is a penetrating application you can apply a wax coat for extra measure or extra shine, but the polishing steps should ultimately give you the desired sheen. After all we are not trying to make an epoxy counter or a urethane counter top. Concrete is what we love, the natural shine and feel of the polished concrete should be what we strive to achieve.

Thanks for listening
Carmello Gianino
Gianino Contracting
gianinocontracting(dotcom)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
thanks very much Troy,
..Im going for a semi-gloss finish on this. Its in a bathroom w/ alot of slate and flat finishes so i dont want to get too glossy. Any ideas for that finish? Ive been scouring around locally and am coming up with alot of "driveway sealer is the same thing", and am a bit leary.

btw: I went through your website. That fiber-optic countertop is incredible:thumbsup:

thanks,
Mike
They ARE NOT the same thing. Dont listen to those idiots. One if VOC compliant, one is not. You want to be able to set food on your countertop.

·
Banned
39 Posts
As Troy had said,... driveway sealer for a countertop, never. Acrylic + methyl methacrylate based sealers are great for exterior flats + your basic grey basement or garage cure + (and or) seal, but thats about it. Though I have gotten away from that wonderful feel of raw polished concrete I do miss it much!!! I used to densify + use penetrating sealers, but had call backs within a few months from lemon juices etching + condensation rings. So epoxy is my new thing just because of the fact. Furniture tops + vanities is the only surfaces I leave as before. GC stl - when you have time email me ( [email protected] ) your prefered lithium silicate based products, if you will please, I would much appreciate it. Would like to try it out.
Form filming coatings I personally do not like for the dragginess of the your fingers sliding across + they look plastic.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bazooka Joe,

I agree with 6string on Lithium Silicate conditioners and sealers. I tested resistance to vinegar, lime and lemon juice and red wine about 3 weeks after sealing and had bad staining with the vinegar, some minor etching with the lime and lemon juice. Red wine did no damage to the surface. All were 24 hour tests. Literature states that the Lithium Silicate sealers continue to harden the surface for long periods after application. The finish with Lithium Silicate has a very natural appearance on concrete, and is probably a good choice for vanities. Has anyone tried a Polyurea sealer, and with what results?

Good luck on your search,
Richard

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Bazooka Joe,

I agree with 6string on Lithium Silicate conditioners and sealers. I tested resistance to vinegar, lime and lemon juice and red wine about 3 weeks after sealing and had bad staining with the vinegar, some minor etching with the lime and lemon juice. Red wine did no damage to the surface. All were 24 hour tests. Literature states that the Lithium Silicate sealers continue to harden the surface for long periods after application. The finish with Lithium Silicate has a very natural appearance on concrete, and is probably a good choice for vanities. Has anyone tried a Polyurea sealer, and with what results?

Richard
I have used quite a few tops with polyurea. Thats the one I suggest earlier from Golden Look.

They have excellent, excellent stain protection. I did a 24 hour test and had zero spots with staining or etching using lemon juice, bleach, coffee, red wine, bbq sauce, and mustard. Very good product! And its fairly scratch restistant.

It does have a slight build too it though. Nothing like what epoxy is though. I have used both, and with looks you cant beat the natural finish you get with say a lithium based, but polyurea is they way to go for staining protection.

Have you guys watched my videos on epoxy countertops I did? Its here if you want to see them. It shows how to apply and repair, as well as the finish product.

http://www.contractortalk.com/f90/concrete-bartops-61515/

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bazooka Joe,

Richard
thanks, I think a lithium silicate sealer is the avenue im going to take given that this is a vanity project. Do you (or anyone) have any brand name suggestions/recommendations?
thanks,
Mike

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Don't forget to check the thread date before getting pissed at me.

Most of this info given out is learned through many hours of testing and comparing and money spent and wasted. What type of look are you going for? Wet look, shiny, matte finish, natural finish? If you want shiny and very low build try diamond clear from golden look in Texas.

Get a hold of [email protected] and tell her Troy Kamps from Green Bay, WI sent you.
This old thread came up while I was researching lithium silicate sealers this morning. I am trying it out for the first time on our current counter top job and wanted to know more.

Just a reminder of the great info exchanged here. It took google to find it though, I tried searching with the sites search bar and was inundated with threads about battery op tools. But google knew what I was looking for.

In bold, it's been a couple of years since I first read it. But I think I understand the sentiment behind the words a bit more now. Thanks for being a contributor 6 String.

Good Luck
Dave

1 - 16 of 16 Posts