Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post. Just looking for some advice guys. I have a friend who had a semi-wet basement and decided to have it waterproofed and finished. He hired a basement waterproofing company to dig the basement floor down 18", install all new underground plumbing, install french drain around the inside perimeter with two sump pumps, install vapor barrier on the sandstone walls, have new concrete poured with a smooth finish and have the downspout run away from the house (the old rain leaders connected into the city sewage).

After the waterproofer left is where the problem begins. I was hired to come in and finish the basement laundry and family rooms. Here's a list of things I noticed right away;

The owner wanted a smooth finish on the concrete and got a very rough, uneven finish with fibers sticking out all over the place. They wanted the option to lay down laminate wood flooring or possibly paint and wax the floor, now that's not going to happen.

Some of the vapor barrier on the walls has large gaps where the pieces overlap and concrete has filled in behind it leaving a clear path for moisture to come in.

Instead of tucking the vapor barrier tight in the corners almost every corner has been cut by the vapor barrier so every wall must now be pulled away even more from the foundation.

Pieces of old concrete from the old floor (that could've easily been chipped off) were left on the walls and covered with vapor barrier so again, the walls must be held even further from the foundation. That included a section so big that the bottom of the new stairs will have to be 4-6 more inches to the left than the top.

The floor cleanout should've been flush with the new floor but was left sticking up about 6 inches, the homeowner fixed that himself.

The PVC pipe for the sump pumps were just laid on the grass and covered with loose dirt.

The rear downspout is still hooked into the city sewage (the waterproofer changed his mind and said he didn't want to wash the hillside away).

I also found out from the homeowner that he has to invest over 12 hours of his own time fixing the old stairs left dangling by the crew, suspending, digging under and re-installing his hot water tank, leveling out the dirt and gravel the morning of the pour (because it was so bad) fixing the cleanout and fixing a base for his furnace.

This waterproofer had the floor dug down around the furnace and just poured the concrete up to the dirt and left it. Some of the dirt shifted causing the furnace to shift, the homeowner complained and the guy had one of his crew come and dig under the furnace and pour new concrete under the furnace (after the homeowner paid a furnace guy to suspend it from the joists). Now that concrete was even worse than the rest of the floor and the homeowner had to build his own base to shore up the furnace.

The homeowner has paid for the majority of the job and is holding the rest until the downspout and PVC sump pump pipes are fixed. The waterproofer also has to come back and fix some landscaping issues that his laborers messed up.

The homeowner is a friend of mine and really wants me to start the next phase but is really torn on accepting such shoddy work. He is afraid of telling to waterproofer to start over and doesn't want a fight.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Wow.... he has already paid for most of the work? My only question at this point is why? If it's as bad as you describe, they wouldn't have gotten a dime more of my money until it was right.

But, they're at where they're at. So, my absolute best recommendation at this point, is for them to have it inspected by a competent third party (you maybe?), have a detailed report written, along with a cost estimate to fix it and bring it up to acceptable standards.... and then march right into an attorney's office with all of that documentation and photos.

If I were you, I wouldn't touch a THING on this project until it's up to acceptable standards. Because once you touch it, you own it. And, I have a feeling that your friendship may not survive a quagmire like this if you do.

Just my $0.02, FWIW, YMMV and all that.... :blink:

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
Independent 3rd party to review the contract he has and to inspect the workmanship against industry standards.

Who this is? I don't know, but Mike Holmes is out there somewhere.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
fireftr -

It seems be a real mess created by the "friend" that made a lot of dumb decisions and want a friend to sort of escape from them.

The best thing to do is get an impartial third party (not a basement "waterproofer") to determine what is right, what is wrong and what to do to correct the previous errors and personal opinions. - It is fruitless to get others involved in the corrections until there is a clear plan.

After a determination of the quality of work and decisions and the lack of real facts a decision can be made. I would not move in and do the work in that mess, since you could get yourself in the middle.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. You're right, I want to remain friends and I'll let him know that I could get myself in a jackpot for framing around the waterproofer's shoddy work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts