Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Old Home Guy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing outdoor tile on covered Charleston style porch. Large 12 x 31 with porcelain tile. Due to weather we were not able to get all tile and grout in before major storm. Rubber membrane installed over subfloor, the hardibacker board then tile. However; due to large rain and sideways water got under the membrane at doors before it was sealed and completed. I have pulled doors out and removed backer board and pulled mebrane back to expose entrance to door. The question I have is water wicked further under the membrane and i cannot expose it to dry out. Even though it was a small amount of water will it ever dry out?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I've never heard of that method of waterproofing a porch--How was the Hardi attached?
What is the subfloor? Plywood?

A little better description might help--To bad you can't post pictures yet.--MIKE--

·
Master Tile Mechanic
202 Posts
I am also puzzled. Ignoring that and thinking about the trapped water question, I would imagine it might dry if the underside of the subfloor gets air? Depends on the subfloor?

This sounds like a very strange method of doing a deck. The rubber membrane is not adhered to the subfloor? The hardibacker is not nailed down? It's a peel and stick self-healing membrane and you nailed through it (and then pulled out the nails and peeled it up?) I'm confused. Either that or you should get used to the idea of water getting under the membrane...

·
Old Home Guy
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Charleston porch

Thanks guys, I know I left some of you confused with this method. Being a Charleston Porch it is completely covered and has ceiling, roof etc. The only amount of water that can get is from heavy rain blown sideways. The EPDM membrane is an extra precationary method in case any water getsthru bad grout later on. Think of it as a shower pan that does not have a shower head. Membrane only there in case huge spill of water so to speak. The reason for this is that under the porch is conditioned heated area. I was just perplexed to say, like if you are installing a shower pan , and subfloor was wet before you covered it up......what are the problems that can occur. I am thinking the subfloor will dry out from underneath, but just wanted second opinions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
...The EPDM membrane is an extra precationary method in case any water getsthru bad grout later on. .......

Grout doesn't need to be "bad" for water to get through. Grout is not waterproof.

As to your actual question........ I'd find a way to dry out the ply before covering it up. Make no mistake that if there's a problem a year (or five) from now, it WILL be your problem. And if that problem is rot or mold -- OUCH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts