Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this same question in another thread, but it was from 2009, so I started a new thread to get some help.

I'm a for hire handyman, and have been tasked with getting a Morton system saver going again. The unit worked fine a few weeks ago per the homeowner. So far I determined there was a bad salt bridge or clump on the bottom of the brine tank.

I completely cleaned, disinfected, and added salt and a minute amount of water. I determined the Venturi was not working and replaced that as well. The unit still did not provide soft water. I then used Iron Out to clean the resin beads. I have confirmed that the valve and motor are functioning correctly as well. Still no soft water. I'm thinking the beads are bad, and saw above how to check them. My question is: I cannot find in the manual how to depressurize the resin tank.

Also, is there anything else I might be missing here?

The customer is getting terrible calcium deposits jn their dishwasher and showers, and I'm feeling a little under qualified and/or perplexed.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I posted this same question in another thread, but it was from 2009, so I started a new thread to get some help.

I'm a for hire handyman, and have been tasked with getting a Morton system saver going again. The unit worked fine a few weeks ago per the homeowner. So far I determined there was a bad salt bridge or clump on the bottom of the brine tank.

I completely cleaned, disinfected, and added salt and a minute amount of water. I determined the Venturi was not working and replaced that as well. The unit still did not provide soft water. I then used Iron Out to clean the resin beads. I have confirmed that the valve and motor are functioning correctly as well. Still no soft water. I'm thinking the beads are bad, and saw above how to check them. My question is: I cannot find in the manual how to depressurize the resin tank.

Also, is there anything else I might be missing here?

The customer is getting terrible calcium deposits jn their dishwasher and showers, and I'm feeling a little under qualified and/or perplexed.

Thanks in advance.
Did you contact the manufacturer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm thinking the beads are bad, and saw above how to check them. My question is: I cannot find in the manual how to depressurize the resin tank.
I'm just a dumb electrician, but I've never seen a 'pressurized' resin tank on a water softener (i.e. turn off the supply and open a valve on the outlet side to relieve system pressure; then put it in bypass and open the supply again so they have water while you work on it).

Here's an instruction sheet for removing the resin tank:
http://www.systemsaver.com/morton-website/softeners/manuals/resin-tank-assembly.pdf

Is it city water or a private well?
If it's a shallow well and there's no sediment filter before the softener, it's quite likely the resin bed is clogged beyond rescue.
Anything coming out during the backflush cycle?
Iron Out won't dissolve sand and dirt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts