Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem. I am a contractor working in a restaurant. The problem is that even small amounts of water on the kitchen floor will seep through the ceramic tile, through the backer board, and leaks through the subfloor in about a half hour.

I am in the weeds. Is there a repair that doesn't involve ripping everything out and starting again? What causes this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
NGP said:
Here is my problem. I am a contractor working in a restaurant. The problem is that even small amounts of water on the kitchen floor will seep through the ceramic tile, through the backer board, and leaks through the subfloor in about a half hour. I am in the weeds. Is there a repair that doesn't involve ripping everything out and starting again? What causes this? Any help would be greatly appreciated
Water is getting through the ceramic tile? What type of grout did you use?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Bottom line----you need to rip it out--reinstall with a proper waterproof foundation---I suggest you look into Hydroban by Latacrete---

Tile and grout are not waterproof---so the backer must be---there are many different methods of creating a water tight backer----

Are you on the hook for this 'repair'?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts