Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buddy had a new home built, and the past couple weeks (getting cold now) he started out having a circuit tripping the breaker even though they used nothing on that circuit. Replaced breaker, we had a warm week last week, no problems. Been getting colder than heck lately again and he just called and said he had water running down into the breaker box from the pipe brining the service in.

He's got overhead power coming into meter on outside of house, then out of the bottom of the meter into PVC which then does a 90* into the house. Plumber putting on outside of siding wrapped around PVC.

You guys ever deal with this condensation problem before? I've never heard of it so I'm at a loss and figured I'd ask the pro's what and how they dealt with it. The sparky he had wire it told him to use plumber putty or silicone and fill the hole with incoming service wires into breaker box to prevent the water from getting in there..to me that seems half baked and would just create a damn holding back the water that is forming.

For now he pulled and replaced the GFCI breaker with a standard breaker, and has the cover off trying to let it dry out, basement isn't framed out finished, but per code the builder hung that poly wrapped insulation around the inside of the basement/taped the seams, and has 2 ducts open to condition the space/keep basement warm.

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
If water is actually running in he has more than a moisture problem and more like a water intrusion problem. May be worth the time to have the electrician double check their work to be sure there are no other points of water access and if so seal them off.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guess his sparkies answer was packing putty up inside the conduit inside the box to dam it up. I told my buddy all thats going to do is create a dam and now you may have many cups of water backing up inside the pipe until something lets go.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Guess his sparkies answer was packing putty up inside the conduit inside the box to dam it up. I told my buddy all thats going to do is create a dam and now you may have many cups of water backing up inside the pipe until something lets go.
It needs to be placed where the conduit enters the residence, or it will likely do what you say. I mean exactly where it enters the house and where the cold is one one side, and the heated on the other side of the seal.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
When my new 200 amp service went in I was happy as a pappy...until the first heavy rain blasted the meter box/cable entrance.

Turns out the duck seal wasn't tight enough or applied properly and water was filling up the meter box and being piped through the insulated jacket and dripping into the panel.

I probably used faulty terminology trying to explain this leak so I hope you get the picture.

PS. I said screw that duck seal and just shot silicone sealant instead and ten years later not a drop of water.

I still check on that leak every so often during heavy rains and all is well.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
When my new 200 amp service went in I was happy as a pappy...until the first heavy rain blasted the meter box/cable entrance.

Turns out the duck seal wasn't tight enough or applied properly and water was filling up the meter box and being piped through the insulated jacket and dripping into the panel.

I probably used faulty terminology trying to explain this leak so I hope you get the picture.

PS. I said screw that duck seal and just shot silicone sealant instead and ten years later not a drop of water.

I still check on that leak every so often during heavy rains and all is well.
Overhead service drop or underground?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Tried google per your instructions.... got a **** site :whistling
Hey mods.... Just curious.... is the word Born (substitute P) a bad prohibeted word. ( I do understand that actual Born does not belong).

Shoot, the supreme court has no problem referencing it.

Just curious guys....

Peter

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Sorta has to be strung right.... a lateral isn't likely to leak ?????
Not as much, but with a lateral, the seal should be pushed inside the meter socket where it enters the warm side. I have seen them leak OUTSIDE of the rigid when the grade is raised and the seal wears away right through the foundation, and in some cases the rim joists depending on how nuts they got.

Drops have more places where water can get in (my experience). The weatherhead, couplings on the rigid, the hub, etc.

·
Super Moderator
11,969 Posts
Hey mods.... Just curious.... is the word Born (substitute P) a bad prohibeted word. ( I do understand that actual Born does not belong).

Shoot, the supreme court has no problem referencing it.

Just curious guys....

Peter
Yes, I believe that is one of the prohibited words here.

I don't think it matters who types it since it's an admin function.

I'll try it to make sure. I would like to view some construction **** here at CT.

EDIT, yes blocked it out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts