Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to all. I need a hand... a friend needs help with his home after a pipe burst in his attic - water traveled down 2 stories to the first floor. The basic cleanup is somewhat a no brainer but how do I describe to the insurance the info. they need? I'm sure they need moisture percentages from what I gather?

I typically don't deal with insurance and consequently I really am like a fish out of water! Not even sure what the going rates are in Texas(pm offline please)...

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I'm confused by the cleanup being a no brainier and not knowing what to do....

Have you called a water remediation company? They have meters and equipment that can quite easily dry and verify dry and provide documentation to the insurance company to verify that what needed to be done was done and is back to pre loss condition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm confused by the cleanup being a no brainier and not knowing what to do....
Sorry for the lack of correct explanation "no brainer"...
The cleanup for their home(or mine) is fairly easy/straight forward after 34yrs - take the base off, cut/remove the rock, etc. My lack of knowledge stems from dealing with the insurance companies and what they expect in writing(ie. percentage of moisture, appropriate costs,etc.).

Thanks for the response.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Provide a detailed narrative as to what happened.
Where the water came from & how it got to where it's at.

Then the SOW to mitigate the moisture and the necessary steps & materials to complete the repairs.

Mold mildew concerns must be addressed.

Get a moisture meter to check moisture content.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Moisture mapping showing extent of damage. Thermo hygrometer readings showing temp/RH/GPP affected area, unaffected area, dehu output and exterior areas.

Documentation of why removal of material was required including class and category of the loss.

Equipment placement, equipment classification and breakdown of runtime.

Pictures documenting loss including the source.

Final documentation to show return to pre loss moisture content.

All that make sense?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Why not just have the insurance company and a disaster company do it all? After being involved in this, I can see no reason why anybody would want to interject themselves into this process.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Why not just have the insurance company and a disaster company do it all? After being involved in this, I can see no reason why anybody would want to interject themselves into this process.
Insurance work used to be pretty profitable...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Anti-wingnut said:
Because it's no brainier work...

It is very interesting work, no jobs are ever the same, great hours, everyone is able to help (especially retired guys at churches), never have to work to get paid, payment is always quick. Ok, maybe some of those aren't quite true...

Been doing it since '95 and love it!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I just don't know how you could compete with these restoration companies. They show up with five guys at 6pm to take care of a broken pipe.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

It is very interesting work, no jobs are ever the same, great hours, everyone is able to help (especially retired guys at churches), never have to work to get paid, payment is always quick. Ok, maybe some of those aren't quite true...

Been doing it since '95 and love it!
But that's your job and niche. I was aiming my comments at the OP, who we don't know what he does or who he is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
VERY good question!! I owe a HUGE favor to my friend - long story it goes back over 20 years. Typically I would never take on this type of job and as a home builder I've warrantied water issues and as a remodel company I wind up finishing "water problem" jobs.

Numerous copper lines are in the attic NOT insulated(built in '83), along came 17 degree winter and one 1/2" water line broke. Water migrated from the attic, through second floor master bath and wound up directly in the kitchen below on the first floor.

Again, thanks for the information.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
VERY good question!! I owe a HUGE favor to my friend - long story it goes back over 20 years. Typically I would never take on this type of job and as a home builder I've warrantied water issues and as a remodel company I wind up finishing "water problem" jobs.

Numerous copper lines are in the attic NOT insulated(built in '83), along came 17 degree winter and one 1/2" water line broke. Water migrated from the attic, through second floor master bath and wound up directly in the kitchen below on the first floor.

Again, thanks for the information.
But isn't there a remediation company involved? Just because you owe him a favor doesn't mean you should perform an appendectomy on him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

If one of my guys wrote this he would(and can be) sarcastic if he feels a statement is incorrect. I could be wrong...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Moisture mapping showing extent of damage. Thermo hygrometer readings showing temp/RH/GPP affected area, unaffected area, dehu output and exterior areas.

Documentation of why removal of material was required including class and category of the loss.

Equipment placement, equipment classification and breakdown of runtime.

Pictures documenting loss including the source.

Final documentation to show return to pre loss moisture content.

All that make sense?
Rocket Science!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts