Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any reason why taste & odor should be noticeably different after replacing an above-ground jet pump with a submersible in the well?

I've only done this twice in funky-water situations, but in both cases, a year later the water was still nastier than when the jet pump was in use.

In both cases, the submersible was placed at the exact same depth the old foot valve was.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Heard of this a few times. Theory amongst the well guys is that during the removal/install process crud is disturbed on the well casing and at the bottom of the well. Since this is an already funky water location the increased turbidity changes the chemical/mineral make up of the water.

Some have improved over time while others do not. A analysis of the water after the install did not indicate significant changes in the chemical/mineral make up of the water. All involved agreed that the human nose & taste buds provide more relevant results than any other analysis process.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Along the same lines as Griz, the submersible will twist from the torque on startup.. Stirring up the 'stuff'

Torque arrestors help but dont eliminate it

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Is there any reason why taste & odor should be noticeably different after replacing an above-ground jet pump with a submersible in the well?

I've only done this twice in funky-water situations, but in both cases, a year later the water was still nastier than when the jet pump was in use.

In both cases, the submersible was placed at the exact same depth the old foot valve was.
Put in a air over water tank. That helps assuming the problem persists.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put in a air over water tank. That helps assuming the problem persists.
What would be the theory behind that? Don't think it would be a good idea in one of the cases; that water contains enough iron to turn a glassfull brown in 15 minutes--I do recognize the need for a treatment system in that case.

Early on, my theory also was disturbance from the replacement. But after a year, that's long gone. I'm thinking Timeless has the most likely answer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you have installed a pit less adapter and the seals are not correct you may be getting ground water through the casing..just a thought
Another thought is iron bacteria..check the home owners toilet tank if its slippery to the touch a good well shocking may take care of the issue..

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
What would be the theory behind that? Don't think it would be a good idea in one of the cases; that water contains enough iron to turn a glassfull brown in 15 minutes--I do recognize the need for a treatment system in that case.

Early on, my theory also was disturbance from the replacement. But after a year, that's long gone. I'm thinking Timeless has the most likely answer.
You should always have water tested. If you have iron problems nothing you could do with a pump matters, it needs treatment.

Air over water tanks can often times make the silver smell subside to a point where it's manageable, especially vs a bladder style tank.

But ultimately a water treatment device of some sort is where you will find the best solution. Every single home in my neighborhood has an iron curtain. They work great.

But still, have it tested.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not worried about the pitless, but you may have a point about iron bacteria. Hmm...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts