Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
I've had a Zircon water level for about 10 years. You do need to keep the crud scrubbed out of the electronic part with a bottle brush or it will become intermittant. Other than that, it's a fine one person water lever (since it beeps).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
And all of these years I've just been using cheap vinyl tubing, sometimes I can be such an idiot.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was that sarcasm or do you truly feel that you are an idiot? :)

I've used vinyl tubing too, but for the price I could hardly go wrong. We'll see how it works!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Sorry! I learned sarcasm from my father, it's a difficult habit to break.
I'm curious as to what is to be gained with the electronic thingie.

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
I'm curious as to what is to be gained with the electronic thingie.
1) Some people seek to aquire the maximum number of thingies.
2) You don't have to make magic marker marks on the hose each time you use it, unlike the regular clear hose method. Other than that, there's no advantage whatsoever.

I might add that it has lights and buzzers, which seems to attract a certain group.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Just how acurate is a water level? I've never tried one and often wondered if it would be worth it for decks and such.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
KInd of like a builders tranit or a builders level is stupid huh? You could always use a dirty old garden hose and a couple of yard sticks taped together instead right? That's why I use dirty old underwear that I find in the trash instead of brand new boxes of cotton painters rags. I shun everything new in contruction no matter how many hours of day light and billiable hours I might burn using some crappy old method from 1865 or a no matter how many dollar bills I step over to pick up the pennies saved.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Didn't the old timers use a bottle of Jack Daniels for a level (after a slew of swigs of course)? Or is that just urban legend? lol

·
DGR,IABD
9,683 Posts
MinConst said:
Just how acurate is a water level? I've never tried one and often wondered if it would be worth it for decks and such.
It is 100% impossible for a traditional water level to be anything other than 100% accurate 100% of the time. Unless the earth's gravitational field and the barometric pressure vary greatly from one end of the hose to the other, it is quite possibly one of the most accurate ways to level.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quite a bit of sarcasm here. Can't tell quite how I should take it, so I'll take it with a grain of salt and a swig of beer.

Let me say again, don't know how well it's going to work, or if it'll be useful at all (compared to a clear hose) but for the price I figured it was worth it. Come on! $10.50? Cheap!

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
10.50 is cheap, if it saves you 10 minutes it has already paid for itself. I applaud you for trying to find a better way and not following the typical construction herd as they mill around head to tail in the same spot afraid to look too far over the horizon in fear of discovering the world really might not be flat.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's kinda what I figured Mike. I'm going to start building decks on the side here, and eventually go full time (once I've got more experience/contacts etc). I like to work alone, and this will probably make doing that a little easier.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Mike Finley said:
...afraid to look too far over the horizon in fear of discovering the world really might not be flat.
What?! Are you trying to tell me that the world.... :cheesygri

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Teetorbilt said:
And all of these years I've just been using cheap vinyl tubing, sometimes I can be such an idiot.
I think this was built with the 'old style' water level (and OVE specs no doubt :cheesygri )

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Don't know why Mike F. is always so sarcastic, - - but for anyone who does own a water level, - - make sure you send it back to the factory once a year (or after 60 uses, whichever comes first) to be calibrated. :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I HAVE bought new hoses for my system over the years but feel that calibration is not required. It seems to work fine, in every application, without a 'tune-up'.
My maximum application has been less than 1/4 mile, for a lake on my NC property.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts