Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help !!….

I found this site and thought it might be a place for a problem we see.

We are concrete repair and waterproofing contractors.

We also do a lot of chemical grouting to control water leaks.

Problem: water leaks into plastic conduit and then runs into electrical room , vault etc. how do any of you plug those leaks? i understand from the sparks that the wires/ cables move with voltage surge. I understand that there are companies out there that represent they have products / solutions. I have also been told that none of them work.

Does any one have any ideas that they can share that have worked ?

Thank you !!!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Here we have to drill holes for drainage. For instance if a conduit came down the outside of a building, then an LB right into a panel we have a drill 1-2 1/4" holes in the bottom of the LB for drainage.

I worked on a project where there were 4x 4" conduits and 2x 2" conduits that went to an adjacent building about 150' away. They leaked like a siv. Solution was terminate to an enclosure, pitch it and drill a drain hole above a floor drain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Inner10

More information: everything we see is under ground so draining the conduit is not an option the intent is some form of annular grout plug thats elastomeric and will live with the cable movement , we are going to build mock ups and test some ideas our men have developed, we have both high voltage and low voltage clients with the same problems.

the main agenda is to stop or hold the water in the conduit and away from the components that can be impacted by corrosion …..

by the way how the weather in Ottawa ?? one of my boys played hockey up there several years ago , it defines the term COLD.!!

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Weather is crap, damn polar vortex.

Damming of water is an up hill battle, find a way to divert it.

Water in conduit is like death and taxes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know exactly what kind of product you are looking for, but a good Heaping of some Duct Seal always does the trick for my installs.

As far as underground I have no idea how to stop the water, ha!

This does give me some thought about my future outside and underground raceways. Water management in raceways has never been a big issue, even for the raceways I've installed for 'Medium Voltage' wiring.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts