Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my problem. I am a contractor working in a restaurant. The problem is that even small amounts of water on the kitchen floor will seep through the ceramic tile, through the backer board, and leaks through the subfloor in about a half hour.

I am in the weeds. Is there a repair that doesn't involve ripping everything out and starting again? Hoping there is a clear product with a quick turnaround time that can work in this environment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
You could regrout with epoxy or urethane grout. It wouldn't be waterproof, but it would be a whole lot better. The two above questions are good ones, but they bring up a more important point, more info. We need more info and pics would be nice.

I agree that it seems that the tiles may be compromised and causing the issue. I know that someone on here will have a field day with this, but it may be a tear out. You may only have to tear out the bad tiles, but it sounds like you will need to do some rebuilding.

What kind of backer board was used? 1/2"? 1/4"?

Need more input....

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
IMHO a tear out and redo is possibly the best surefire fix. For wet areas I always spec / use a product called Nobel Seal TS. Never ever had a problem with that stuff used.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
If the board underneath has been subjected to water, that in itself can cause future problems. Then, take into account sealing that moisture in if you just waterproof the tile surface. Wood rot, mold, fungus will have a nice breeding ground.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
. My wife pours about half a bucket on our floors each week with cement grout and sealer and no water proof membrane and never had issues with water.
Does that half a bucket get back sopped back up? Yes. This guys project situation is that you pour half a bucket of water on the floor and not all that buckets water gets sopped back up. The damage has probably already been done. Stay away from promising a full remedy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts