Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have actually had a container of water heater treatment in my hand, read everything on the container, saw the term "non-toxic" on the label, but I would still like to have some actual user testimony on the usage of this stuff before I use it. Anyone out there have any personal experiences with this stuff that they would care to share? :confused:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sounds a little odd to me, just whats in the stuff and what does it do?

How do you apply it, in an empty heater?

BJD

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have never heard of it! What is it's purpose? Besides the normal flushing of a heater, they really are maintenance free. You can change anode rods for specific water problems, but when it is time for it to go, it is time and you'll know it!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
From what I have read...it is a compound that breaks up and disolves the calcium and other minerals in hard water so they may be passed, or flushed through. I have had a lot of experience with the build-up of these minerals but I am just a bit sceptical about adding something that is going to disolve them, and telling residents that they can shower in, or drink the water.

If I remember right, you drain the tank, add the compound, then fill and heat. I'm not positive about that, and I don't have access to the info at this time.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tomm Alsman said:
From what I have read...it is a compound that breaks up and disolves the calcium and other minerals in hard water so they may be passed, or flushed through. I have had a lot of experience with the build-up of these minerals but I am just a bit sceptical about adding something that is going to disolve them, and telling residents that they can shower in, or drink the water.

If I remember right, you drain the tank, add the compound, then fill and heat. I'm not positive about that, and I don't have access to the info at this time.
I'm a little confused! You have "a lot of experience with the build-up of these minerals but I am just a bit sceptical adding something that is going to disolve them". Then what is it you are trying to accomplish?

I would imagine that what is in that treatment you have is no different or better than what the water heater manufacturers recommend.

They recommend to remove the anode rod (good place to pour chemical and obviously you have drained the heater) and replace with a new one. Anode rods come in different materials depending on you're water.Add 1 gallon of household bleach (I use non-toxic chlorine) to every 30 gallons of tank capacity. Fill heater and thoroughly flush or sediment will enter fixtures and cause problems (running toilets,drippy faucets etc.) .

This is obviously just routine maintenance and is not going to solve a "hard water" problem or increase the quality of the water.

I don't understand why you would be hesitant to let the residents shower in this water! What are they doing now and what are their options? But, I do agree with you I would'nt recommend them to drink hot water either!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts