Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a water hammer on one of my hotwater lines.

Is this something I should be worried about or something I can get around to fixing when I get to it.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
It all depends on how bad it is. If it is bad, move it to the top of the list. A water hammer can shake your pipes loose inside the wall and even fracture them over time.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
kpikul said:
I have a water hammer on one of my hotwater lines.

Is this something I should be worried about or something I can get around to fixing when I get to it.
Fix it before it blows out a solder joint, or damages a fixture.

Does it hammer just when you turn the water on or off, or does it hammer all of the time that the water is running?

It could be caused by a partially closed valve, or a loose faucet washer that flutters when the water flows past it. I have also found pieces of solder shaped like coins that were trapped at ells in the line. They flutter like crazy; it sounds like the whole house is going to come apart.

It could be caused by an area of low pressure at a place where two different sized pipes connect.

It could be that you need to put some air into your water storage tank, or that you have a bad bladder in the water storage tank.

If your plumber is good (and sometimes lucky) he will isolate the problem quickly. If he is not, he may be scratching his head for a while with this one. Sometimes it's easier to fix than to find.

The other guys will be along with some input too, so check back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It only happens when I turn off the hot water, on all the sinks in the house. I do not hear it when I turn off the shower valve or when I am using the cold water.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
Do you have a water storage tank? Well water? City water? Pressure reduction valve?

It's starting to sound like a rubber washer on a hot water shut-off valve. Any other info might be helpful...

I think Teetor has a degree in hydro-dynamics. He's right about the metal fatigue from the harmonic motion (fractures).

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I do have a degree in hydrodynamics which is the study of fluids as they pass by structures. I also have a degree in fluid dynamics which is the study of fluids within structures. The latter is the relevant part.
Both relate to sympathatic (harmonic) fatigue of materials. Vibration will cause usually ductile materials, such as copper, to change into a crystaline structure. Crystaline structures are more prone to breakage, think diamonds or carbides. Glass is a fluid.

·
Commercial construction
606 Posts
So, would Newton check the faucet washers himself, or would he just send Bernoulli and Torricelli over to do it?

Some people do great things with their education in engineering. Me, I just help folks change their faucet washers...

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I used mine for a number of years and my big contributions I am not allowed to talk about. I have gone back from whence I came.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have city water. I believe it is heated by a coil I do not have a hotwater tank. Not sure about a pressure reduction valve. I am a web designer so all this is greek to me. Basically, what you guys are telling me is to call a plumber.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Yep! A plumber is your guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts