Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never done any estimates on water extraction/drying before. I have had to do it with my own property before and have helped a few friends with flood water removal , replacing sump pumps etc. and drying but i have never given an estimate doing so. My primary line of work is painting and power washing. A friend of a friend called and asked if i was interested in the work and i am because where i am at things are very slow this time of year. Can anyone give me an example of an estimate for water extraction and drying so i have some basis to write mine properly? Im hopeing to get the water extraction/ drying job and hopefully can get the washing and sealing job after. Much Appreciated

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I don't have any experience in this area, but I am going to assume a proper estimate will be determined by the amount of water that needs to be removed, the size of the pump you plan to use to do the removal, as well as how you plan to dry it all out.

The time needed to pump the water out should be an easy math problem, take the amount of water and divide by how much water the pump can move per minute or hour, factor in drying time, and that should give you a good base to start.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any experience in this area, but I am going to assume a proper estimate will be determined by the amount of water that needs to be removed, the size of the pump you plan to use to do the removal, as well as how you plan to dry it all out.

The time needed to pump the water out should be an easy math problem, take the amount of water and divide by how much water the pump can move per minute or hour, factor in drying time, and that should give you a good base to start.
Thank you This does sound like a good starting point however,
How can i determine how many gallons of standing water is in room? The pump pumps 68 gal a min or 4080 gal an hour but i have no clue on how to determine or estimate how many gallons are there?

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Extraction charges are based off Water Category/Class and SF of area. Drying charges are determined by the CF of area being dried, size of dehumidifiers (# of pints per day) and the required number of airmovers determined by the psychrometric charts.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
If the carpet is more than just damp most guys will just pull it and hang it to dry. Usually with fans & dehumidifiers under.

The pad is usually trashed to insure the floor is dry and to reduce mold mildew.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Extraction is done by sq ft and cat of water. Drying is based off dryer and dehu days. Those are figured using size of loss, class of loss and swag's.

If it's water from a sump failing it could be considered to be cat 3 water without too much work.

You have had basic water remediation training right? Much more to it than sucking water and blowing air...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts