Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went back to one of our properties that was vacant for the winter. The water had been turned off for approximately four months.

When I turned the water valve back on, water started leaking steadily from the water softener, from behind the wall near the washer and dryer hookup, under the bathroom sinks, under the kitchen sink, and from a few of the walls.

What's going on?

·
Boondockian
1,478 Posts
Today I went back to one of our properties that was vacant for the winter. The water had been turned off for approximately four months.

When I turned the water valve back on, water started leaking steadily from the water softener, from behind the wall near the washer and dryer hookup, under the bathroom sinks, under the kitchen sink, and from a few of the walls.

What's going on?
Were the pipes drained after you turned the water off? Sounds like the pipes had water trapped in them and it froze and burst.

Reactions: spazman

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
If the property wasn't heated during the winter the residual water in the pipes froze, expanded and broke through. There is likely more leaks than you even know about at this point. You need a licensed plumber.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I was thinking the same. The heat was left on for the winter at this property for this very exact reason. This is going to be expensive.
Just make sure you get a reputable licensed plumber to handle this or it will be even MORE expensive later.

They will find the obvious leaks and smoke/pressure test to find other issues that might be small now, but could cost you big time later if they are not all caught. (Example, if there was water allowed to freeze in traps, this might not be noticed until the place is "all done" and a tenant is in place)

Sorry to hear about the issue and good luck!

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts

What's going on?
As a side note, whenever I have winterized a home I always cut the main water supply off, then disconnect the supply lines at strategic locations (unless there already exists a means by which to perform the following task), then blow out the lines with slightly pressurized air to eliminate any residual water left in said lines. I also use an RV antifreeze to pour down the drains leading to any suspect traps (and also toilets) that might freeze.

I wish you all the best in figuring out what needs to be done. As RS said you should be focused on getting reputable professional to figure this out and repair properly.

·
General Contractor
8,083 Posts

What's going on?
You know whats going on... What I like to know is what were you thinking about not winterizing the house if you knew the heat will be off?

With that said, if you own vacant property, how you don't stop by and check at least 1-2 times a month to make sure everything is ok? Now its on you to get it fixed... call insurance company it should cover.

I know this is a bit off the subject, but just recently a few towns away- people from PA who also don't give a s^*t about theirs property, owned a house here, they haven't been by all winter to check on it... So someone came along, changed the locks, put a sign in the window "House for rent"... found tenants, ripped them off for the security deposit and rent and took off. Homeowner came and there is people living.

·
Registered
669 Posts
What's going on? YOU have a LEAK or two, or three! LOL
I have a few questions? Where are you located, does it get cold, like freezing temps below 32 degrees? If so, did you drain the lines, tanks, toilets, traps, etc.? I believe that you had the furnace on ? HOW can you guarantee that the power didn't fail for a few days, the natural gas ?? do you have gas or electric heat, lets start there! Utility companies are good, but can only do what they can, MOTHER NATURE has her own way of doing things! In my opinion, just a bit of "common sense" might be in the order for this one. I see this every year, and the same thing happens, over and over!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another reason for using PEX.

Freezes and goes back to normal when it thaws out.

If your pipes are copper I will do the tear out for free

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Has anyone used a "Freeze Alarm Dialer"?
Says that it will dial a number every 15 minutes if the temp drops below 45*

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049D7FQQ...UTF8&colid=IH32B8C2C34C&coliid=I3TE6C1U1TCGTU
I don't know about the models but lots of realtors and vacation home owners used those in Vermont. I do remember someone pointing out that they didn't all have battery backups which made them pretty much useless as your heat usually went off because the power was out.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Sounds like you developed a water leak.

Water is strange that way. When it gets too cold, it freezes.

But when it gets too hot, it vaporizes.

Next thing you'll want to develop is a way to connect an air compressor to your water lines.

·
Registered
819 Posts
a good % of winterized homes still get burst pipes too......its almost impossible on a large house to get all the water out.....on a small cottage house that is designed to be winterized, yea it will work everytime....but on mansion size house id say you have 100% chance to get some broken pipes for sure

1 - 20 of 20 Posts