Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone reccomend a good latex primer for covering water damage, besides Bullseye 123?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Not too keen on using water-based for water stains. I have used Zinsser's GARDZ on occasion and it worked, but there were only small spots. The HD says Kilz2 will cover water stains, but....it is HD after all. Kilz2 is worthless IMO.

Per a search on Google, click here. Scroll down to CIL Professional Interior/Exterior 100% Acrylic Stain Bloc Primer Sealer. Never heard of it, but who knows, it might be in your neck of the woods.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ProWallGuy said:
Not too keen on using water-based for water stains. I have used Zinsser's GARDZ on occasion and it worked, but there were only small spots. The HD says Kilz2 will cover water stains, but....it is HD after all. Kilz2 is worthless IMO.
The reason I wanted to use a water based is because it is 7000 square feet and if I use an oil on the water damage I have to use an oil on the whole job, and I prefer water based. As far as I know, and correct me if I'm wrong, it isn't a good idea to use a oil primer with a water topcoat.

Yea I'm not a big fan of the Kilz either.

Thanks I'll check into both products

·
Painting Contractor
1,881 Posts
You can use oil based or shellac based primer on waterstains only
and follow up with latex. If you are only using one finish coat, you
might have some flashing. Use an over all primer after your spot-prime
or two coats of finish. You can also use latex after an oil primer.
Before the acrylic super adherent primers, oil primers were used
all the time for oil to latex conversion.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You may want to look into Zinsser B-I-N. It's shellac based and quick dry. I use lots of it and have had no problems with pain adherance. It's also good for sealing knots, cedar, redwood and as a primer/sealer for wallpaper.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ProWallGuy said:
Whats it going on?

Interior plaster, very old. The problem that caused the damage has since been fixed, obviously, or I wouldn't be painting it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
.."no problems with pain adherance."
I know the feelin'...lol.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ProWallGuy said:
If the stains aren't too dark, I'd try to wash them down with a bleach solution (if feasible), and coat it with B.M. Freshstart or Perter's BlankIt. Both are acrylic, and have an ammonia odor, but cover well.
cool. yea I never even thought to wash it down. Thats a good idea.

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Exroadog said:
"very old interior plaster" if it has never been painted, your best off with oil primer. Then finish with latex.

It's been painted before, probably several times. There's no bonding issues with oil to latex?

There is also a 3'x2' hole that needs to be repaired. I was thinking a masonry primer after it is patched, is that even nesisary?

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you're going to use plaster for a patch use the right primer and make sure its dry enough to paint. Old plaster formulations used to need anywhere from a week or two up to a month to dry.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Gripper from ICI

Humble Abode said:
Can anyone reccomend a good latex primer for covering water damage, besides Bullseye 123?
Gripper from ICI. Make sure and let it cure twenty four hours before top coating.

Jim Bunton

1 - 17 of 17 Posts