Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Tile Pro - Consulting
331 Posts
As already stated standing water can cause problems when the substrate is not made to hold water. You see, ceramic tile does not make an installation waterproof. So, it's not the tile or grout's fault, it's the way it was installed.

Generally the only time a floor needs to be made waterproof is on a shower floor.

Will you tell us the type of room this is and exactly how and with what it was installed.

Jaz

·
Carpe Diem
20,714 Posts
Hell, with all the bickering in the drywall section, to hell with paper or mesh. I'm gonna start using kerdi-band for drywall seams! :whistling

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
could it cause the grout to loosen and crack therfore having loose tiles
The sub floor is probably partical board or OSB which expanded when it got wet and is causing the results you are seeing.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
The sub floor is probably partical board or OSB which expanded when it got wet and is causing the results you are seeing.
There you have it. From the first guy who i would ask.:laughing: Wow over 11,000 post. I remember when Michael was in the hundreds.:laughing:

·
Registered
3 Posts
OK, back to the original question. Can Water damage ceramic tile, NO. Being I live in a flood area and I restore floors I have seen homes with 4' of water in them and the tile was fine. Then again I have seen homes with 2" of water in them and seen tile come loose. You have an option then. If your tile are loose then you can use Inject a Floor and reattach the tile with out damaging the grout. IF the gout is coming loose and cracking then you have other problems that need to be looked at. f this is on a pier and beam, or a wood subfloor it all needs to come out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts