Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pictures for you younger guys who are taking on water damage jobs, I have come across repairs done by other guys, well so many think that when you see waterstains well you can just sslap some Killz on it and it's a done deal well here's some pictures to show you what is going on on the back side of the ceiling, When I was starting out the old timers use to tell me kid just scrape and float it!:eek: I would ask what about the back of the ceiling and all the water that came in? It will dry out:rolleyes:
Well here's what that it will dry out looks like.:laughing:

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm very curious to see how you progress with the repair. I've just completed a building restoration that included patching plaster walls. I ended up back to bare framing, building up the patches with 2 layers of drywall, confill and mesh, and finishing compound. Worked well enough but I'd love to learn the plaster way - is it better in terms of time&materials?

I've got a question for you which I'll start in another thread re: plaster textures.

Appreciate your posts - it's important for the trade these skills aren't lost!

D'S

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paulie, yeah I had this guy call me back in Sept but I was having a hard time getting a hold of him, But now I have started it, I will go in today and base coat then skim coat. Boy that ceiling looks bad. did you take it all out? Flat roofs suck unless they covered with rubber, there are a few guys in this area that do real good flat roofs, cause a lot of houses have these sunrooms with a flat roof that also is a upper deck. did the home owner fix the roof? kinda of a waste of money if they didn't huh?
Hey I see you have those poles that hold up the plastic how much did those set you back, I checked out getting the Zipwall kit. they wanted $265.00:w00t: for some little extension poles with pads:blink: I was figuring that they would be around $80.00 or something like that, Unreal what they want. so I put up my own zip wall masking tape and 9'x 12' plastics:whistling about $5.00 bucks:thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
D
I see your up north, can you get a hold of Durabond? or are you looking to do stucolite and plaster? The thing with repairs most home owners want the job done quick, I found that when using plaster the jobs can take longer to finish cause of curing of the plaster, with Durabond I know it will set and I can skim then finish the painting up, Today I'll hang the board and then base coat with Durabond 90 then I'll skim coat with topping compound, and I should be able to give it a light sanding tomorrow prime and it will be ready for paint.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts