Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So short story, I am general contractor in Washington state. We are currently remodeling a 1978 split level. We removed a small sink where the supply lines were coming up through the floor to an angle stops for the water lines. We shut them off and left it for the plumber for the following week to move. 5 days later the valve suddenly broke in the middle of the night. Trying to determine who’s at fault here. My company, or the old valve that somehow broke after being off for a week. Waiting on insurance currently.

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts
You were last to touch it.

Any documentation or pics of the valve?

Does your contract deal with damages?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea as far as I know I was the last one to touch it. The homeowners would come by every evening to check on the house. They showed up Friday evening, everything was good. Sunday morning it was flooded. Been dry for a whole week. I did look at the valve today. The inner gasket was all torn up. It’s just driving me crazy that it didn’t leak a drop for 5 days then all of a sudden it just blows out.

·
Super Moderator
24,651 Posts
Oh yea, same way a supply tube can be faithful for years and then all of a sudden turn on you...

Ever seen a ten year old toilet suddenly crack in an unoccupied house????...yup, big mess...

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
Swami Joe can predict the future. The homeowner's insurance company is going to subrogate their payment of damages to your insurance company. Your insurance company will roll over like a non-alpha dog and reimburse them. Your insurance company will tell you not to worry, they aren't going to drop you, but they will, I promise. The facts and who's fault it is are irrelevant; it's only about who is in the position of strength and that ain't you.

·
Registered
Remodeler / Builder
297 Posts
Similar happened to me. A valve opened in the morning and ran through the floor to the ceiling below. Fortunately it was caught quickly and just drywall repairs so I fixed it

·
Unregistered learner
51 Posts
Early on I had a toilet shut off leak over night and damage the ceiling below.

I now include replacing all fixture shut offs that will be used. I carry either pex caps or shark bites for copper and cap any open line immediately. Not a fun lesson to learn.
Ditto. I’ve only had it happen once, years ago. I still carry 3/8” brass caps and PEX caps in my trailer at all times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well if you are dealing with a good homeowner that’s on your side you can get the insurance claim to deal with it. Worst case they put a claim on your GL and that should cover it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update on the situation. The homeowners insurance is covering. Since the valve was dry for an extended period of time and it happened in the middle of the night it is on the homeowners insurance to fix it. I have been doing everything I can to help them out, and we’ve actually got it all dried out and ready to put back together.

·
Kowboy
2,265 Posts
Update on the situation. The homeowners insurance is covering. Since the valve was dry for an extended period of time and it happened in the middle of the night it is on the homeowners insurance to fix it. I have been doing everything I can to help them out, and we’ve actually got it all dried out and ready to put back together.
Sure they are, but they're going to subrogate to your insurance and your insurance isn't going to fight them. Insurance companies are scum. The minute they have to pay a claim they look for a way out of it or someone else to blame. You're it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sure they are, but they're going to subrogate to your insurance and your insurance isn't going to fight them. Insurance companies are scum. The minute they have to pay a claim they look for a way out of it or someone else to blame. You're it.
Jesus dude relax, sounds like you have been burned a million times.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts