Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is this one small city nearby where I live I can drive around all day long and take pictures like this. I'm not even sure if the pipe thing is actually structural. It may be a drain pipe. The deck...3rd story, looks like 2x6 FJ's, look at the rim. It's obviously dropped considerably. At least they have 4x4's going through the lower roof for support. That deck frightens me. I can't imagine if the people upstairs have children or drunken parties.

"yeah...bathroom, last door on left"

·
General Contractor
8,202 Posts
There is this one small city nearby where I live I can drive around all day long and take pictures like this. I'm not even sure if the pipe thing is actually structural. It may be a drain pipe. The deck...3rd story, looks like 2x6 FJ's, look at the rim. It's obviously dropped considerably. At least they have 4x4's going through the lower roof for support. That deck frightens me. I can't imagine if the people upstairs have children or drunken parties.

That is terrible. Bro, you should knock on the door and tell them not to use the deck before someone gets killed, you might even get a job to redo the deck. The guy who built that deck should be :hang:

Imagine they have kids or a party and that thing goes down. That is not right.:furious:

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
At very least I would warn them of the potential hazard, some people don't have the common sense to realize the danger of a doorway to nowhere. They at least should bolt a guardrail across that door opening.
That deck is beyond discussion, Wow!.:eek:

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
Careful now..............

That first step is a doozie!!!!!
X2, that would be some drunken face plant. You could land on the roof below and the niebors can watch you dribble off the roof.

This kind of thing makes you wonder how people like this can be smart enough to get a job to earn enough money to finance the construction of this but not be smart enough to know the correct/safe method of the construction. I saw this kind of stupidity all the time as a mechanic at dealerships. It always seemed that the folks who paid $50-$60k cash for a Cadillac had no clue to even adjust the damn seat or mirror. If you cant do the simple things how did they even drive it? How could someone be this stupid yet earn enough money to buy it cash?

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
The first deck looks like they just added another ledger to the band and went out from there. didn't even go back to the beam a foot away.
Someday code enforcement will come to Maine after enough people get killed. This is a question not regarding your work. I go to maine every year and have a brother in law who lives there. What's up with the typar. It sure seems to be the siding of choice for many homes. Doesn't EBS sell tyvek?

·
Al Smith
2,392 Posts

Huh?

I cant even figure out how it got built.
How did it not fall over when they laid the stringers against that.....Thing!!
And those three columns with the 2X2 baluster stock bracing them. Wheres the girder/beam that you would think they should be supporting?
How did they even set joists?
And after saving that photo to my desktop and zooming in. Whats with that chicken wire over the balusters? To prevent beer bottles from falling on the roof below?
And why is that stair X bracing cut in half at the center X intersection?
And just out of the picture I see a neighboring tree has reached out with one of its limbs to help prevent the deck from falling on it. Even mother nature is scared.

The first photo with the open door i removed from the quote because its obvious the deck already fell away. And the only reason that door is open is because they were wondering what that crash was.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.