Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of drawing the spec's for a wash bay inside of an automotive repair shop. Block walls, sloped floor to trough, etc. What type of epoxy/sealant is recommended to keep the water in? Concrete, on grade, slab, assumiong no moisture barrier beneath.
Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Free Specs Online!

The material for the block walls will be different than what you can use on a sloped floor. Block walls will need a special non-slumping 2-part epoxy paint that is the right viscosity to fill substrate pores and divets, but will also stay where you put it on a vertical surface. As to the floor, in assuming you have no moisture barrier underneath the slab, there's concern about a thinner product "blowing off" from moisture vapor pressure coming up from underneath the slab. A urethane concrete mortar may be your best bet. Take special care to spec proper coving around the floor-wall joints, as well as around the drain. Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
wash bay paint suggestion

If you are looking for a contractor to do your wash bay you may want to consider getting a pro. Moisture in concrete tends to create problems that can make a mess of your industrial epoxy flooring. Florock products are very reliable and the guys who install are really up on the product applications and every aspect of the work of installation itself. You can't go wrong with these guys. I've been to their website quite a bit over the years and have always found it to be well organized and informative. The work that they did for me was about as close to ideal as you could get.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts