• yes

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 63.6%
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
The chimney never should have been there in the first place.

Short of one of the corners looking to low it looks good to me at first glance.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
The sidingpro got it right, the chiminey is improperly located.

I presume you can't fix that so, the next issue is the siding on the chiminey. In a heavy rainstorm the water will splash up quite a bit along that flashing. The flashing should go up 8 to 12 inches onto the chiminey with no penetrations in that flashing.

The way it is now, water will splash up behind the siding. If the flashing does not go up high enough or if there are nail holes in the flashing from the siding, you will have leaks.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
To me the roof looks new and recently replaced. If the roofer didn't mention the siding needing to be reworked he should of.

The roof portion looks good though. Looks like it's fully adhered epdm which more than most would do around here.

I assume you are a homeowner who just bought a new roof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes. The roof was replaced. The siding was pulled back and flashed. The pitch was also reworked.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,770 Posts
Siding and corner trim to close to the roof in couple of pics. Looks like the back side had a cricket that got removered when reroofed. Poor place for chiminey , but is possible to flash right to get water away. The way some roofs are done is just crazy.

·
Registered
132 Posts
atoc said:
Was this the best/correct way to do this? Thanks in advance.
I would remove 2 courses of siding and cut the corners up same amount. Remove about 3 or 4 rows of shingles away from the valleys. Make sure to extend the new epdm up far enough

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the comments. This the way the roofer left it as the finished product. I do apreciate the response. It just looks odd. I know the chimney placement is wrong and it was working against them. The job estimate included tear out the old pitch and design a new more correct one.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I would have done the same thing, just bigger, and got some more pitch on the cricket. And I would have shingled it. Right idea just bad execution. We had a chimney right in the middle of a valley last year.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I would've taken a 4 or 6 foot level and leveled from the valley to the corner of the chase, using this to create a level ridge. Connect that ridge to each of the lower corners, fill in valley seats, a few jacks and create an over-framed "cricket". This will create steeper valleys away from the chase, intersecting the main valley higher up the roof and won't create too much of an eyesore from the curb.

Essentially what you already have, but a much longer ridge to get the water diversion started higher up the roof.

Reactions: jlsconstruction

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Not a roofer.... and don't know your climate, but in theory I think that is correct for the framing situation....

But I sure would have made that saddle/cricket greater in slope and/or height..... plus kinda looks like the execuation was done with a pair of pliers.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The ridge should have been level....It looks like it slopes down to the shingle valley. Those cricket valleys have no pitch, to the point of creating a puddle.

Your roofer was close but he was confused.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
What instruction did you give??

Because if you didn't give any and you don't have a leak then you need to talk to someone about fixing your siding.

And pay the roofer.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts