Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Husband and I own a construction cleaning and a handyman services.
We got a call for a bid on a home that needs painting, we have not
yet bidded on a paint job yet. The home was laid out like this on our bid
please tell me if we bid too high!

Master bedroom 13x12 2 windows- doors - trim- ceiling - 5x3 closet $140.00
Bedroom 1 11x12 2 windows-doors-trim-ceiling-2x3closet- darker color
2 coats $175.00
Bedroom 2 11x12 - 1 window-doors -trim-ceiling-2x3 closet-darker color 2 coats $165.00
Remove wallpaper and paint hallway 3x20 ceiling $200.00
Remove wallpaper and paint kitchen 13x10 2 doors-trim-ceiling $175.00
Dining Room 15x12 - 3 windows- 1 bifold door- ceiling- trim $160.00
Add on dining room 10x10 1 window-2 double doors-ceiling - trim $130.00
Foyer 10x10 - 3 doors -ceilings- trim $130.00
Laundry room 10x9 1 window- 1 door-1bifold-ceilings-trim

With tax that comes to :$1,489.30 was this too high for my first painting job!
This is with a realtor company I bidded on it Monday I haven't heard from them yet. Thanks for any input!

·
...jammin
5,234 Posts
That's way too low
You two must like Raman
:)

·
Repair/Remodeling Tech.
1,645 Posts
This is just real quick by my prices, and keep in mind also, painting isn't all I do, and I HATE painting to be honest with you, so my prices reflect that, but:

Master bedroom - 417
Bedroom 1 - 625
Bedroom 2 - 625
hallway - 321
kitchen - 373.50
Dining Room - 459
Add on dining room - 315
Foyer - 315
Laundry room - 395.50

BTW, this is JUST field painting, it does not count taking down wallpaper, trim, or windows n' doors. Add about 300 for all windows, doors, tearout, etc. for the PITA factor.

Grand total - 4146, but as I said, I'm not fond of painting nor do I rely on it solely to make my living.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
kwik klean said:
Master bedroom 13x12 2 windows- doors - trim- ceiling - 5x3 closet $140.00
Bedroom 1 11x12 2 windows-doors-trim-ceiling-2x3closet- darker color
2 coats $175.00
Bedroom 2 11x12 - 1 window-doors -trim-ceiling-2x3 closet-darker color 2 coats $165.00
Remove wallpaper and paint hallway 3x20 ceiling $200.00
Remove wallpaper and paint kitchen 13x10 2 doors-trim-ceiling $175.00
Dining Room 15x12 - 3 windows- 1 bifold door- ceiling- trim $160.00
Add on dining room 10x10 1 window-2 double doors-ceiling - trim $130.00
Foyer 10x10 - 3 doors -ceilings- trim $130.00
Laundry room 10x9 1 window- 1 door-1bifold-ceilings-trim

With tax that comes to :$1,489.30. This is with a realtor company...I haven't heard from them yet.
You may not hear back. A price that's too low is as much, if not more, a reason to avoid a contractor than one that's too high. As a home owner that doesn't want paint all over my floors, fixtures and furniture, and expects a professionally finished product, I'd figure you didn't know what you were doing and move on to the next guy. Around here that work would bring at least twice what you quoted.
On the other hand, it's probably just the right price for a company that's planning on stiffing you over some spilled paint.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Wow, that's an awful lot of work for just $1500!! Do a search for "bidding" as we go over this almost every day. You are really going to have to pin down your costs, understand what it takes you to do the job professionally, and have the money to still be in business this time next year. When you know what it costs you to work per hour for overhead, wages, and all other costs per hour, and how long the job takes to do in hours....you have an easy method of coming up with a price that is fair to you and to the customer.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Way Low..How many man hrs. are budgeted? Thats a fair amount of work. Did you figure ALL your time needed from start to finish?

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
I tried the link easyrider, but it wouldn't give me a price when I tried to see what it charges for a 10x10 room in my area. My question is, where do they get their numbers? They have no clue how long it will take me, or what it costs to run my business. Estimating has to be done based on real numbers. Figure costs, add materials and markup, your salary, etc...figure how long it takes, and you'll have a number that you can do the job at and stay in business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks way low to me,but your sure to get the job. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well with a couple of customers I deal with, one owns about 50 house's and the other about 25. And when someone moves out I do a whole remodel on the house.
And I seem to see that i get under cut on my Painting prices alot, but I do make up for it in other projects on the job since I do all the rest of the projects.It seems to me with people who own alot of properties like this always go for the cheapest,it must be true the richer you get the cheaper.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts