Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
4,617 Posts
While they are not unethical or illegal or anything like that, there is no need to post them publically.
Flaming bag of poo doesn't work, Mike. How many times do I have to tell you that?:rolleyes:

·
4,617 Posts
I would consider putting more into the front end of these discussions. Its unprofitable to put all your effort in at the back end, especially when what you're doing isn't what is required, contracted, nor was it requested from the outset.

Difficult clients are only difficult because we allow them to be. Not taking no for answer is one thing, but offering choices beyond "no" is just begging for problems as well.

As others have explained, you should look up the industry standards for acceptable quality and use them. You should also go over what is and isn't warranty. If the house is accepted at walk-through, then the work has been accepted. It now comes down to material and workmanship defects and failures. Equipment, appliances, appurtenances, fixtures and devices all have manufacturer's warranties on them and you should not be covering those out of pocket. Labor is usually NOT included in most manufacturer's warranties for these items and that should be made clear at the outset.

Yes, folks get upset that they paid good money for such things and when they fail to satisfy completely, it makes them mad. But not nearly so mad as you having to go to them on the back end and explain what is and isn't covered and what you will and will not do for them.

As for your prospect, explain to them what you have explained to us. That one out of 15 trips to the home was actually a warranty item, and that 14 trips and repairs, along with several hundreds of dollars were spent in this home "not honoring your warranty". Don't make the old clients out to be the bad guys, just say that they had unreasonable expectations that you were happy to meet in order to keep them satisfied, but if your reward for doing a good job is a bum reference, then its time you stood by your contract and let things run their course. Its only good business.

You can only reason with reasonable people when they are being reasonable, otherwise, its unreasonable to expect a reasonably satisfactory result.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Starting today and I mean right now, you need to draft up a document for these types of customers to sign off on at the end of the project. Where you go over everything with them and basically inspect it at that time and get their written signature that they are accepting the job as complete and perfect at that time.

Resetting a GFCI circuit should be a charged labor trip. Lights needing a bulb should be a charged labor trip. Mirror scratches, paint strokes should have been caught at finalization or not at all.

I know it's hard to walk the line of doing the right thing, doing what is legal and doing what you have to do for customers like this that try to hold you hostage and your reputation hostage.

I deal with a lot of high maintenance customers. When you get enough posts to private message me, do so and I will give you some private tips on some subtle nuances in handling these call backs that will help you in the future.

While they are not unethical or illegal or anything like that, there is no need to post them publically.
If they are not unethical why not post the publicly?

It might be helpful information for others to know.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts