Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,021 Posts
For painting ????. As for us in MN. anyway there is a mandatory warranty on all work as far as a GC goes. State law. Michigan, I don't know, sorry. Maybe check with your local permit office or building official. Should be no problem warranting your work for at least the life of the product you are using as a painter. Don't know if that helped or not but I tried, lol, good luck.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,222 Posts
I always though a tail light warranty was pretty good to give. (Can't see my tail light , warranty is over) :laughing:

Really though even though I don't do painting, pretty much all our exterior work we will take care of workmanship wise . if a product fails then they have to deal with the warranty the manufacture has.

·
Painting Contractor
6 Posts
I offer a limited three-year warrantee on all paint jobs. Do it but cover your ass with exceptions and unforeseen faults in the structure or previous paint job. Don't worry about going back. They never call. And if they did you can fix the area that is failing. Do it happily an it will only help your reputation.

Good luck

·
Super Moderator
11,325 Posts
thanx for replying but I just wanted to know the warranty painters give their exterior work in general
I give a one year labor warranty on my exterior paint jobs and repairs. And then whatever the paint manufacture warranty is. Which is a big selling point for me. Because the paint I use comes with a 15 year product and 5 year labor warranty. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Warranties are tough. You have to protect yourself but also cover everything required by law. Basically, put yourself in the homeowners shoes, you need to cover anything that would make a homeowner upset for as long as you need to to keep a homeowner happy. Un-happy homeowners make business go down and life stressful.
That being said. Three years is my norm and I exclude all acts of God! Also, if they rush me and want it done in the cold, to close to a rain or any other crazy factors, they sign a waiver releasing me from all warranties.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts