Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do any of you guys warranty exterior or interior paint jobs..What is an acceptable warranty??

What do you include in a warranty, labor? Materials? and for how long?

In NJ most of the big boys warranty exterior paint jobs anywhere from 3years...Your thoughts??

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
For exterior repaints my customers can get a 7 to 10 year labor warranty through the paint manufacture that I prefer to use.

My rep comes out and inspects the home after pressure washing, again after the sealer is applied and one last time after it's been second coated.
Then the paint manufacturer sends my customer a real nice notarized warranty that also has all of the codes, colors and how many gallons were used ect...

These warranty's are a great selling point. :thumbup:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For exterior repaints my customers can get a 7 to 10 year labor warranty through the paint manufacture that I prefer to use.

My rep comes out and inspects the home after pressure washing, again after the sealer is applied and one last time after it's been second coated.
Then the paint manufacturer sends my customer a real nice notarized warranty that also has all of the codes, colors and how many gallons were used ect...

Wow..who is the paint mfg who does this??

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Your paint job may stick like s*#t to a blanket, but, what happens when, and if the blanket lets go.
What is the warranty then?
:laughing:
It depends on each situation. If any failure occurs, it's rarely the new sealer and paint. It's pretty easy to tell what coating failed by looking at the back of a paint chip or peel. I know they have some other fancy gadgets to test problem areas if needed too.

But to answer your question. The paint manufacture will pay 100% of the labor and materials if it's due to their product failing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Paint manufacturers have clauses in their warranty documents which void the warranty- prior coating failure, substrate deterioration. etc. Most warranties provided are for material only- labor is something that the manufacturer does not control.
It has become common on commercial jobs that the contractor has to provide 1-2 years of labor, and the manufacturer has to provide a material warranty. This language is often included in the specification.

·
Remodeler
855 Posts
Sir Mixalot said:
For exterior repaints my customers can get a 7 to 10 year labor warranty through the paint manufacture that I prefer to use. My rep comes out and inspects the home after pressure washing, again after the sealer is applied and one last time after it's been second coated. Then the paint manufacturer sends my customer a real nice notarized warranty that also has all of the codes, colors and how many gallons were used ect... These warranty's are a great selling point. :thumbup:
Paul, is that through Richard's?? That's a great selling point to me and the customer if so. I've used their interior products pretty extensively in the past , and was always quite pleased. Especially their low VOC stuff! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
Wow..who is the paint mfg who does this??
Paul, is that through Richard's?? That's a great selling point to me and the customer if so. I've used their interior products pretty extensively in the past , and was always quite pleased. Especially their low VOC stuff! Thanks.
Yes it's Richards Paint->http://richardspaint.com/ :thumbup:
They have over 200 hundred stores and growing-> http://richardspaint.com/distributor-info/dealer-locator-2

·
Super Moderator
11,332 Posts
After answering several pm's from members wanting more details about the exterior paints/warranties that I use. I figured I'd post them in this thread for others just in case they have a Richards Paint distributer in their area too. :thumbsup:

** Keep in mind I mostly paint the exteriors of stucco homes in Central Florida. Your local paint rep can direct in which products are best for your climate, surfaces to be painted and your specific situation.

Primer sealer:
100% Acrylic Pigmented Multi-Surface Conditioner
http://richardspaint.com/exterior-c...0-Acrylic-Pigmented-Multi-Surface-Conditioner
I usually get the primer tinted about 70% depending on the color.

Manufacturer's 7 year paint and 7 year labor warranty:
Signature Series 100% Acrylic Satin House & Trim
http://richardspaint.com/exterior-c...ature-Series-100-Acrylic-Satin-House-and-Trim

Manufacturer's lifetime paint warranty and 10 year labor warranty:
Eternity High Performance Exterior Coating
http://richardspaint.com/exterior-c...20-Eternity-High-Performance-Exterior-Coating

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't offer a warranty on my contracts. The customer is somewhat covered by me being a state licenced contractor. They can have a license board inspector look the job over if the owner has a dispute with the quality of the job. I'd advise not trying to impress customers with a warranty, and if so, make it a limited warranty! You don't want to end up in small claims court over the warranty you offer.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts

So...after he's confident you've done the job right, he warranties the paint AND the labor for any possible repaint?? Not many have the paint rep you have, lol. Too many variables, but it's cool you have that kind of backup...materials AND labor.

A paint manufacturer WILL reimburse the contractor for both materials AND labor if it was a bad batch of paint, but that's because that contractor paints track houses and new condo complexes and buys 100's of gallons a month from the rep. That paint company paid for his repaint labor because that contractor helps bankroll that company with his high volume of purchases. That's not often the case with a lot of painters.

·
Registered
13,221 Posts

So...after he's confident you've done the job right, he warranties the paint AND the labor for any possible repaint?? Not many have the paint rep you have, lol. Too many variables, but it's cool you have that kind of backup...materials AND labor.

A paint manufacturer WILL reimburse the contractor for both materials AND labor if it was a bad batch of paint, but that's because that contractor paints track houses and new condo complexes and buys 100's of gallons a month from the rep. That paint company paid for his repaint labor because that contractor helps bankroll that company with his high volume of purchases. That's not often the case with a lot of painters.
My question is do you backroll to get that warranty? :whistling

1 - 19 of 19 Posts