Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happened this morning, before my morning coffee,

Ok so whover made this house was pretty stupid to use hardwood in a bathroom, so this HO said he wants me to rip it out and doesn't know iff he should use hardwood again, or tile. I say tile. Anyway, new house, nice flooring, but the sink had a leak and the floor started warping, now theres a lump in the center of the floor, and it's getting worse. How do you remove hardwood flooring easily, and do you think he should use tile or hardwood again?

**Please stay on topic!**

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
With a skill saw and a prybar.

Who cares really what should be in there? People put hardwood in kitchens too all over America, 'should not' be there either but it's still done everyday.

As long as they don't mind the possibility of replacing it every once and awhile and keeping tradesmen working, more power to em.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With a skill saw and a prybar.

Who cares really what should be in there? People put hardwood in kitchens too all over America, 'should not' be there either but it's still done everyday.

As long as they don't mind the possibility of replacing it every once and awhile and keeping tradesmen working, more power to em.
Well the idiot who put in the sink, just glued it to the wall, no bolts, screws caulk, nothing! So the sink exploded. POJ try to figure that abrev out!

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This happened this morning, before my morning coffee,

Ok so whover made this house was pretty stupid to use hardwood in a bathroom, so this HO said he wants me to rip it out and doesn't know iff he should use hardwood again, or tile. I say tile. Anyway, new house, nice flooring, but the sink had a leak and the floor started warping, now theres a lump in the center of the floor, and it's getting worse. How do you remove hardwood flooring easily, and do you think he should use tile or hardwood again?

**Please stay on topic!**
Ok reread this and try to stay on it. The guy got the abreviation, now we can ALL S.O.T.

·
Registered
180 Posts
How do you remove hardwood flooring easily
Ummm...a jackhammer?

Seriously, removing hardwood flooring is a major PITA, even after you cut it up.

If it's buckled as much as you say, you're prolly gonna have to replace the subfloor as well before putting anything else down.

Just out of curiosity, how does a sink, regardless of how it's attached to a wall, explode?

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ummm...a jackhammer?

Seriously, removing hardwood flooring is a major PITA, even after you cut it up.

If it's buckled as much as you say, you're prolly gonna have to replace the subfloor as well before putting anything else down.

Just out of curiosity, how does a sink, regardless of how it's attached to a wall, explode?
Well, the pipe attached to the wall was loose, and was poorly installed, so the pipe exploded, w/ water spraying coming out like a sprinkler, the lady called me instead of a plumber, so I had to turn off the water, which took forever, so it kept spraying until I finally got the right switch. The room was a pool by the time I was done. It seaped into the floor boards, and warped the floor.

·
Sean
5,534 Posts
Ok reread this and try to stay on it. The guy got the abbreviation, now we can ALL S.O.T.
Shoot Only T???

Terrorists, Targets, Tango's, Time Keepers, Tilers

Oh, Stay on target.... :whistling

Seriously you need a few pry bars, hammers, saws and no it won't be easy - if you want easy, go with some C4

A toe-kick saw or a Fein Multimaster would probably be helpful also

I prefer tile, followed by vinyl
Engineered & HW can also work, I just don't recommend them (especially if they have kids)

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shoot Only T???

Terrorists, Targets, Tango's, Time Keepers, Tilers

Oh, Stay on target.... :whistling
Seriously you need a few pry bars, hammers, saws and no it won't be easy - if you want easy, go with some C4

A toe-kick saw or a Fein Multimaster would probably be helpful also

I prefer tile, followed by vinyl
Engineered & HW can also work, I just don't recommend them (especially if they have kids)
Actually it's Stay on topic,she says that engineered floors are junk, so she said tile would be nice. she won't do vinyl for whatever reason, but ceramic.

The boards are so bunched together, that there practically impossible to remove.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
If you can, remove a couple of the boards in the doorway entrance to the bathroom then get your hands under the edge of the hardwood there and in one quick motion snap the whole floor up and snap it like snapping the dust out of a blanket.

That's how I saw Paul Bunyon do it once.

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
I just had a thought...dammit.......Would a prefinished hardwood floor be more or less likely to warp. I'm thinking that the solid polyurethane finish of a hardwood finished after installation would be better than a hardwood where individual pieces were finished thus letting water get trapped between them.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just had a thought...dammit.......Would a prefinished hardwood floor be more or less likely to warp. I'm thinking that the solid polyurethane finish of a hardwood finished after installation would be better than a hardwood where individual pieces were finished thus letting water get trapped between them.
actually there really nice oak stained floors, no there not prestained, if they weren't warped I'd bring them home for my self, there great! It looks as though the water went under the quaterround under the subloor and probably soaked the wood and warped it.

And the hardwood is continued throught the whole house, so there's no threshold.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts