Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on a job today with my trailer. It was on a narrow cul-de-sac that had an island in the middle not a big wide open cul-de-sac.
Since it was going to be raining and the ho was going to be coming and going through out the day I parked in the cul-de-sac.

I had some shims in the bed of my truck that I went to get and as I reached for them I looked at my coupler and saw that the lock pin had been pulled out and was laying on the trailers frame rail. Lucky I needed those shims or I don't think I would have noticed at the end of the day the lock pin was gone since it was pouring rain when I finished up.
There were only two vehicles that came down that street. One was the garbage man who had to forward and reverse a couple times to get passed my truck and trailer and then the mailman who might have had to actually get out of his jeep:rolleyes: to put the mail in the mailbox since there was only enough room when I parked for my trailer to be right at the mailbox.
I check out an RV site regularly and people warn about finding their hitch pins pulled out and I always keep a lock in mine when I have the camper out. I never thought about about my cargo trailer though.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
i use a paddle lock for my pin when i hook up my car trailer. it started cause i lost the pin and the lock fit, and i just kept using it.

·
Working
4,127 Posts
i use a paddle lock for my pin when i hook up my car trailer. it started cause i lost the pin and the lock fit, and i just kept using it.
That's exactly what happened to me too lost the R clip and happened to have a padlock that fit.

Cole

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm going to get a padlock. I hate having to carry extra keys around though.
I bought a four pack, I couldn't find any five packs, and figured I was good: two for the trailer doors, one for the camper's coupler, and one for the fence gate. I didn't think I would need a one for the cargo trailer's coupler since 90% of the time it is hooked up to the truck.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
I have hockey puck heavy duty locks on both ramps, side door has a lock but i need to improve it, the coupler gets locked with a ball lock when it's dropped on a job, I also have the receiver in with a locking pin so no one can just slide the receiver out of the truck. I also have a lock that goes through where the coupler pin goes once it's on the truck.

these are some of the best locks you can buy http://www.lifelonglocks.com/products.asp

and a pipe can't break them off either.

I have the combo pack that came with the receiver lock and coupler lock.

·
Thomas J Marino, Inc
1,078 Posts
Where the hell are you boys working in NJ that you are having this problem?
Would be interested in knowing.
Haven't seen any of that bs down here.
But anything is possible.
Got alot of trash working here now.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Wouldn't be the mailman! They won't get out of the mail trucks no way-no how here for anything. If they can't reach your mailbox while sitting in the seat, you don't get your mail that day! It's that simple. Must have been the garbage man......

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
PS I've done the lock thing on the hitch pin too. Just make sure you keep a weatherproof cover over the lock and regularly clean and lube. Here in the northeast it doesn't take long at all for it to get filled with salt & crud (even with the cover on) and not be able to be removed.

This little public service announcement brought to you by the school of hard knocks and the letters D, U, M, and B :'(

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I've always used a lock on my race trailer but one year in Saskatoon I came out of my hotel to find my reciever missing from my hitch. Got lucky and a local gave me theirs to get me home. From there on out locks on everything.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
The lifelong receiver lock has a nice cover. The thing that is great about those locks is that the shaft never reduces down like most of them. It stays the same size into the locking mechanism so it has less of a chance of being broken off. I rarely take my receiver out of my truck. I have two trailers, one is a pintle hitch(dump) and I didn't want to have to switch them out for a 2" or 2 5/16" hitches.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rarely take my receiver out of my truck.
Me neither. I guess it's time to lock everything.
I'm glad I caught it. It would not have mad for a good day if I lost the trailer in that blinding rain storm we had.

I think it was the garbage man. It was one of those one man, stand and drive from the right, auto brake, trucks. When I heard him forwarding and reversing to get around me it would be one step to get to my hitch.:censored:

·
Vendor
17 Posts
I always suggest to my customers to invest in some locks. Most think I'm just trying to get some more money out of them, but a lock is a necessity. We sell the locks that go up in the coupler so that no one can hitch up to your trailer and take it from your jobsite. That style lock, along with padlocks on the doors, is the best bet for securing your trailer. But then again, if someone really wants your trailer or its contents, no lock or chain is going to stop a set of bolt cutters or a saws-all.

·
Thomas J Marino, Inc
1,078 Posts
I am in a good area and barely have to use the locks but sometimes I do, and I want the best locks out there.
if they really want it, they will take it no matter what.
Do you have single or double axle?
I have double axle and lock up the wheels with a heavy duty wire roping system that cant be cut.
Been good for me.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Wouldn't be the mailman! They won't get out of the mail trucks no way-no how here for anything. If they can't reach your mailbox while sitting in the seat, you don't get your mail that day! It's that simple. Must have been the garbage man......
My mailbox is right next to my doorbell on the front porch. An alarm goes off when the mail is delivered (see my avatar). My letter carrier walks the route.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
txgencon said:
My mailbox is right next to my doorbell on the front porch. An alarm goes off when the mail is delivered (see my avatar). My letter carrier walks the route.
I like your alarm!

I know there are walk routes still out there. We have a lot of mail truck carrier routes where I live. Most are just plain lazy around here. That's what I was referring to. (Sorry if there are relatives of decent hard-working postal workers reading this. Don't mean my statement to be all inclusive.)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
When I lived in Tyler, Texas, I had a mailbox at the curb. If a car was parked blocking the mailbox, the letter carrier would get out of his vehicle to leave me a note (pre-printed card) advising that he was unable to deliver my mail because of the car blocking the mailbox. I never did figure that one out.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
txgencon said:
When I lived in Tyler, Texas, I had a mailbox at the curb. If a car was parked blocking the mailbox, the letter carrier would get out of his vehicle to leave me a note (pre-printed card) advising that he was unable to deliver my mail because of the car blocking the mailbox. I never did figure that one out.
You just don't understand government thinking! (Be thankful!!)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yeah, you're right. When I lived in Plano, Texas, the trash collectors would leave a tag on your trash bag if it was too heavy to lift. I watched one day as they weighed a bag of trash. To weigh it, they would put a strap on the clinched bag and struggle to lift it four feet off the ground to hook the strap to the scale mounted on a bracket on the side of the truck. The height of the opening on the back of the truck was about 30". If it was overweight, a note would be left with the actual weight handwritten in and text that stated that the bag was overweight and too heavy for the workers to pick up.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
txgencon said:
Yeah, you're right. When I lived in Plano, Texas, the trash collectors would leave a tag on your trash bag if it was too heavy to lift. I watched one day as they weighed a bag of trash. To weigh it, they would put a strap on the clinched bag and struggle to lift it four feet off the ground to hook the strap to the scale mounted on a bracket on the side of the truck. The height of the opening on the back of the truck was about 30". If it was overweight, a note would be left with the actual weight handwritten in and text that stated that the bag was overweight and too heavy for the workers to pick up.
These are the same kind of people running our country right now and making decisions for us ....... SCARY!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts