Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In most cases callers (potential customers) say things that make me see warning flags. Some of it stems from previous careers I've had. For instance when I waited tables if someone stated right after they sat down that "that they are really good tippers" .......always sucked at tipping. So when ever someone said it I would cringe and shut down. Then one day I said really? Cuz like $100 bucks is a really good tip are you better then that? I noticed it shut them down and they tipped a little above average then. (Before it was way below average)

In this business I noticed some people say things like "we want you to bid on xyz and ABC projects" and we have lots of other work I the future too or they have lots of friends needing a good contractor too. If I did get the work nothing seems to come out of it down the road.

My other favorites are....

We are getting bids but never pick the lowest bidder.

Everyone is booked out 2plus years.

We had to fire the guy from Craig's list.

We had another guy lined up bit won't return our emails phone calls and texts.

........and have you ever said something to explain why the red flag is up or do you just make a break from the call? Maybe I'm getting bitter about these calls and just push back to quickly.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
If someone leaves a message that says ,were taking bids or anything like that, I hit delete.

I used to laugh when people would say after this one we have a few more that were doing. Thats great, when you hit the volume discount number we can talk.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
Volume discount folks(that I really didn't like) would get "Well...how about I do this one for 50% more and then cut you a big deal on the next two?"

Some other red flags:

"I need a price on labor. The lumberyard already put together a package for me."

"I have _insert random party idea_ on _insert unreasonable deadline here_ so it really needs to be done by then."

"I've had a really bad experience with a contractor in the past so I'm not comfortable with a large deposit."

"I read on Zillow"

"I read on Trulia"

"I found you on HomeAdvisor"

"I love AngiesList"

Really, I used to laugh at the guy in the movie The Money Pit when he said "quick, give me $4000 before I change my mind". Now, I think "That guy should have said $8000".

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Actual red flag comments I have heard:
"I'm an engineer"
"I need just one more bid"
"We're on a tight budget"
It's Wednesday "We need it done before the weekend"
"I ordered all the parts from the internet"
"I was checking the stuff at Costco, what do you have?"
"I've had several contractors working on it"....actually Craigslister handymen.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I'm older now. I guess you could call me an ******* ?:whistling

But I kinda hate It when they call me asking for a bid! :rolleyes:

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Looked at job last week and just received a 4 minute message on the machine plus the exact same message almost word for word in an email from her Pita mother.

Job is not typical since gutters have to be hung with special hanger. Woman wants addresses of this type of install locally that we're done 5 years ago and from at least 10 years ago to see how well they held up . A first for me. I don't get along well with the overly demanding nervous type

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Still new to the business side of things, but is the "and I have several other jobs when you have time" line almost always a red flag? We've heard this many times.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Actual red flag comments I have heard:
"I'm an engineer"
"I need just one more bid"
"We're on a tight budget"
It's Wednesday "We need it done before the weekend"
"I ordered all the parts from the internet"
"I was checking the stuff at Costco, what do you have?"
"I've had several contractors working on it"....actually Craigslister handymen.
The costco one kills me when people are like you want how much I can buy a whole camera system at Costco for 500$.

Ya you let me know how those 50 ft premade cables work out for you

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The costco one kills me when people are like you want how much I can buy a whole camera system at Costco for 500$.

Ya you let me know how those 50 ft premade cables work out for you

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk
Well, you got that straight:clap: I love those RJ11 connectors too. We have a lot of Box Store, Discount Electronic and similar low end vendors here.

I was at my main wholesale supplier (ADI) a week or so ago, and, there was this guy (apparently a low end handyman) speaking Spanish to this women in a dress and high heels. From what I got from the staff was that this guy knew nothing about CCTV systems and was going through the wholesale specials flyer with the women, so she could choose the system she wanted.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Still new to the business side of things, but is the "and I have several other jobs when you have time" line almost always a red flag? We've heard this many times.
Get used to disappointment. Maybe 1 in a 1000 actually has future jobs.

What I do get though is that we we go in and do a particular project, then once they see our work, they then want more work done....not all the time, but enough to make it worth it. And, it's all at regular price, no discounts.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Really, I used to laugh at the guy in the movie The Money Pit when he said "quick, give me $4000 before I change my mind". Now, I think "That guy should have said $8000".
That $4000 was the deposit on the deposit :laughing:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts