Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

I use shcmidt 400 ADS they are pictures of them on my albums new around 7000$ Van aire makes one too I use schmidt because I can get all my pot parts at the same place

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Panderson, Is that an aftercooler or a compressor you refer to? It is far too little money for one and far too much for the other?
I called van air. They only make after coolers up to around 200 cfms. I tried to find schmidt in google didn't see it.

Sad day today. I was under bid $900. on a job for septa. My first bid ever.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Betterblast, I aint here to **** you an ADS 400 is real. They call it an air dryer. Dessicant + aftercooler . check out my pics . I wil lafter this give you the album number.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Betterblast. Scmidt is not around anymore. They are now known as Axxiom Manufacturing. Here is the link to there website. They have Aftercoolers all the way up to 1600CFM as far as I know. I have used a many of them. www.AxxiomMfg.com

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually Panderson I find your posts amoung the most helpfull in here. I
will find the ADS and check them out. Thanks Blastoff. It would be nice to get it already to go.I talked to a CA. company that has used sulairs with the aftercooler. They are still pretty new and up around 23,000. to $30,000. A new Airman 400 is $25,000.

I have located a used sulivan 450 for $8,500 ,Benny I'll try that link and see what they can do for me. So is there anything interesting near the island , how are they treating you there?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Pretty good here so far. I got badged and finished with my In-Process today. Cleared security and took a tour of the job. Will start on the real work on Tuesday. I'm just here to QC the blasting and painting in the Nuke Plant. Right now I am one of 25 in the world that is certified as a Nuke Plant Coatings Inspector. There is a lot of outages starting up now in the Nuke World. Should be busy till the end of the year anyway. Give me a call this weekend. I will be here in Harrisburg.

·
Banned
574 Posts
panderson2414

Benny, I am really looking forward to hearing about inspecting the plants if you can talk about it. The stuff that you do is very interesting. How do you even bill for the weeks you spend on these jobs. I hope you got a nice place to stay over the holiday weekend. I am happy to be home when I am not supposed to be. I would like to think you were able to have friends or family come stay with you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Why do you guys run such large compressors? I have a 5okg (100lb) pot and only run a 130 cfm compressor. I have been told that once the pot is pressurized, say 100psi that the compressor will only run to maintain that pressure, a larger compressor will just run slower to maintain pot pressure. (so I'm told) all you guys seem to be running 200 to 400 cfm compressors. Why?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Her is the thing you don't know, You are mis understanding the difference between cfm and psi. You may be blasting at the same preasure , or psi, as a guy with a 400 cfm compressor, say at 100 pounds per square inch, but you are using a #4 nozle at best. With the greater air flow of a 400 cubic feet per minute air supply you can step up to a #7 or I think an 8 which means you will have a hot spot with your blast of a couple of inches wide instead of a very small point that you can obtain with your nozzle opening of just a 1/4 inch. You can certainly use enough preasure to blow rust or paint off but you would do it about three times faster if you up grade and use about twenty percent less media doing it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
It all has to do with Physics. If I was just blasting small pieces that I could take all day to do with a small pot, hose and a small nozzle then I would not need a lot of CFM to do the job. But if I had a lot to do and a short time to do it in and I'm running a 600lb pot with 1 1/4" blast hose with a 1/2" nozzle then I would have to have at least a 400 CFM air compressor to keep up with demand. In a pressurized blast system your not only pressurizing the pot. You have at the pot the pusher line which feeds the air stream to the blast hose as well. If you was only pressurizing the pot you would only get a stream of abrasive to flow from the nozzle with very little air pressure. So, who ever told you that needs to re-think there statment to you. All hoses in a system needs to be sized accordingly as well. Too many times I have seen blasters running a 600lb. blast pot with
1 1/4" blast hose and running a 3/8" nozzle and feed line from the compressor to the pot was 3/4" airline. This works against the law of physics. The feed line needs to be at least one size larger than your blast hose at least. Learn about your equipment and what it takes to run it properly. It will decrease down time and increase production for you.

Panderson, I would like to tell you what all is going on here, but it is a Nuke and I cannot say anything much as of now. I will say that it all revolves around the replacement of Unit #1's steam generator. There is a boat load of paint work and blast work going on. Work that has not been done since it was built back in the 70's. It's only me and one other inspector here as well. The family is back home and I am over 900 miles from home. I'm used to the long absence from home and so are they as well. I love my job and love the work. I hope to be teaching a few SSPC classes as well next year as well. This job here will take me thru till Christmas. Have a great Labor Day holiday everyone.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2. Hay Betterblast

I see a video with you? removing the antifouling of a boat, are you using crushed glass or soda? if crushed glass what grade are you using and dose it profile the gelcoat?

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Panderson, I talked to that company about the ADS. I see why they are $7,800. It is the size and shape of a blast pot. I'm sure it works great but I could never transport it to jobs. Do you move that thing around with you or just sit it in one place in your booth. Any way If I can't get lucky with a built in aftercooler, as was wisely sugested to me, I found a company called ecompressors.com They can do a radiator type cooler for about $2,600.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts