Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some info on using a hot water tank as a boiler to heat our basement. What is needed and some design help. I think it fairly simple but never dealt with boilers of any type myself. I had this type of heat in a shop I rented a few years back and it worked great.
Thanks guys and gals.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was planning on adding another tank. I don't want to comprimise our hot water. I'm open for suggestions. Using our existing would certainly lower the costs. But as I said I don't want to loose hw for normal use.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
How many BTU's are you going to need to keep the basement heated? Why not just get a small boiler?? Just curious.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim,
I have no idea on the BTUs, I'm a carpenter. Seriuosly though I figure a HWH would be less expensive and possibly smaller. How much is a small boiler cost anyway?
Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
There are a lot of problems that can be associated with a water heater being converted to a boiler.

A water heater would not recover fast enough and therefore would be ineffecient.You are heating too big of a body of water for a heater to recover. Which is why boilers are in sections for more suface heating/effeciency and recovery! Baseboard heat is sized and designed for 180 degree water. So, the thought of using you're existing heater because you might compromise you're supply wouldn't be the biggest concern.. It would be the safety of you're family being vulnerable to such hot and dangerous temperatures!!!

The upfront costs of using a water heater look appealling but that is where the good stops! I would recommend you get a heat loss done for the area you wish to heat and then look at you're boiler options. There are a lot of small boilers out there ie. backpacks etc.. Some of these backpacks are tankless water heaters that might work depending on conditions, but I personally would stay away from tank type water heaters.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Plumguy,
That is great information I appreciate it. I will look further into what you recommend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts