Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a new business in CT and am finding I am not charging enough for my work. I would appreciate a pricing scale or per roll idea of what to charge from anyone out there!!!!
Thanks,
Lchums

·
Registered
106 Posts
I dont do wallpaper for a living...
But when I do borders, I charge 2.00 per Ln Foot.
Now for a border that is 6" high, 2 ft would equal 1 sqft.
Meaning that I would basically charge 1.00 per sqft.
But that never works out, because some borders are 8", 10", and 12".

Ask Pro, he should be able to help you.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I use 5 subs for wallpaper. They charge from $18- $24 per roll and one charges $300 per day plus materials. Price does not garrantee quality, the one that charges the least does excellent work and is a little slower, two at the higher end do the same quality but faster, the other two are fast and their work is good but not up to par with the others. All are clean, sober and show up on time, another plus. They all stick to their quotes as well.
Hope this helps you out.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
I never charge by the roll, its always by the job. Too many variables in wallpaper. $1-$2 a linear ft of border is the norm, only exceptions would be if its over 16" wide, a paintable 'frieze' type, or needs to be inlaid. I also charge extra to prime the wall where the border goes, but if its over paper, I don't.

The paper part can get tricky. It depends on your skill level, type of goods being hung (pre-pasted mass market PBV, or block print Brit pulp, or $45k Zuber scenics, etc.), the difficulty of the area being hung (2 story stairwell, cut-up bathroom, etc.), amount of prep needed, and what the market will bear in your part of the country. I would start with figuring what you need to make per hour or day, and go with that. This way, your being paid what you need whether the job takes 2 hours or 2 weeks. As Teetor said, I always try to get at least $300 per man per day to cover wages, taxes, insurance, overhead, yada yada yada.

If you are serious about hanging paper for a living, join the National Guild of Professional Paperhangers NGPP or contact a guild hanger in your area. This is the best resource for wallpaper in the USA.

You need any more info, email me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I know that I need to revamp my price list. I have been way underpricing. This has been some help.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Check out the new topic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
wait, i have questions about pricing too. first of all I am new to the wallcoverings system so help me out. If your guys charge you $18-$25 a roll, how big are the rolls? I am not sure what method is better, if doing it by rolls or by linear ft. or by sq. ft. Someone wants my bid on a commercial job but they have some wallcoverings in some rooms. any help would be appreciated.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
If your guys charge you $18-$25 a roll, how big are the rolls?
When someone says 'per roll', they are referring to a single roll. Most (bolts, rolls, units of paper) you see on a residential job are 'double rolls', which generally come 20.5" wide by 32' long. This is the usual, whereas with British high-end goods, the come packaged differently. So if I charged $25 per roll, it would cost you $50 for me to hang one of those (bolts, rolls, units of paper).

Commercial jobs are almost always bid by the linear yard. The ln yd is determined by sq.ft. divided by 12 (with extra for match and selvedge) or 13.5 for exact amount.

If you bid by the roll, you might make money on an easy straight run down a hall, but lose your a$$ by getting bogged down in a cut-up bathroom. Bid it just like any other job- production rate. How much can be installed in X amount of time. Figure a price for the job, then divide it by rolls or sq. ft. or ln. yds. to make whomever happy.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Pro, how would you bid a boat? A lot of compound curves and mostly tiny spaces with lots of trim. The highest priced does the worst job and the lowest does the best under these circumstances. I'll never figure you guys out. BTW both are women. Put them all in a house and you can't tell ones work from another except Mick. He hand paints electrical covers, very cool.

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
wallpaper pricing

which generally come 20.5" wide by 32' long.

I don't know about St, Louis but here in Maryland the double rolls are 33' long. :rolleyes: :cool:

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
chris n said:
which generally come 20.5" wide by 32' long.

I don't know about St, Louis but here in Maryland the double rolls are 33' long. :rolleyes: :cool:
C'mon, 32', 33', I was close enough. If you count the edge I usually cut off because it was crushed in shipping, then its only 30' :cheesygri

Long time no see, you going to the convention this year?

Teetor, as for the boat, same way. Figure how long and what to use, and BAM there's a price. I will also paint covers for high end customers, looks better than paper covered IMO.

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
Mr

ProWallGuy said:
C'mon, 32', 33', I was close enough. If you count the edge I usually cut off because it was crushed in shipping, then its only 30' :cheesygri

Long time no see, you going to the convention this year?

You got that right :rolleyes:

No ,I will not make it to Maine this year,just had to spend $2500 on the 3 vehicles. If it is not one thing it is another. :evil:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. Going in to the wallpaper hanging business. Need some info on what to charge clients and labor costs.

Thanks,

Ted241

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi again.

I am new to this forum. How do I know if someone posted an answer to my question? I'm Starting to do some side work in wallpaper hanging. Example: Went to the client's home today to see what she wanted done. She has a very small bathroom ( approx. 6x6 )that she wants to have the old wallpaper stripped, prep the walls by spackling any low spots and priming, hang her wallpaper then add a border around the top. The work would also include painting the ceiling and trim. I figured it would take 2 to 3 days at most and gave her a price of about 250 dollars per day. She thought this was high. Was I in the ball park or not? If not, what should I have quoted?

Ted241 in NJ

email me

[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, Pro Wall Guy, for referring me to #4. Considering the specific text in my #13 above, did I do right with my quote?

Ted241

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.