Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are painting the interior of a new house. Two rooms require paper, which we don't do. Got a friend to install. One room used 8 double rolls...the other was a bath and required 3 triple rolls- at $30 a roll. When the job was completed (in 10 total hours by one man) the bill came to $1,140.00. Call me crazy, but I think that I am in the wrong biz. $45.60 a roll. We prepped the room, applied the sizing, painted all trim and ceilings. He walks with $114 an hour. ProWall do you think this is normal charge or do I ask him where the heck he came up with these numbers?? Maybe he uses glue fortified with gold...LOL
Let me know what ya think-
Kevin

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
25 s/r in a 10 hour day is good production. Did he do a good job? Is everything tight and seamless? Was he on time, and fit in with your schedule? Was the homeowner pleased? Was it high-end $$$ paper?

Good paperhangers are a dying trade, and most of the top ones deserve every penny they make. Regardless, we never charge by the roll, only by the job. My costs when broken down would probably come in around $30-$40 a roll too. If he charged $30 a roll, then where does the extra $390 come from? A 5 of paste only goes for $25, and blades don't cost much.

Did he bid the job before hand, or was this sprung on you at the end?

Can't really say if you got taken or not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The price was sprung at the end. Cheap paper and it was pre-pasted. He is good at what he does except for realizing which end is up. I walked into the bathroom after he hung two sheets and said, "what do you think this design is?" When I looked at the paper on his table it was clear that the design was grasshoppers. He had hung two sheets upside down. I guess that happens to everybody- once
Thanks for your response
Kevin

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I pay $18-28 per roll. Much depends on application, a boat is a bathroom only bigger and worse as they often have compound curves. Many times, the roll price is thrown out the window.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wallpaper installation cost per square yard

HI I'm a painting contractor and a decorative painter,I have been doing it for many years,I consider my self a pretty good wallpaper installer,however we all know times had change and now more than ever the wallpaper installation cost has come down,I'm currently bidding a wallpaper removal/installation that I desperately need, on the hallways of a high rise 10 floors 8' ceilings, a straight forward project,can you gentleman help me to price? I have 630 square yards of material to remove/install I will appreciate a prompt response!!! thanks

·
Registered
686 Posts
Cripes I wouldn't pay no fool a price that wasn't first laid out , He hung a couple upside down ? That ought cut the value half price at least. Does he guarantee that any paper that is put on poorly he will at least re imburse in full? I often get papers that cost 50 bucks a single, it's a wonder I get to paper at all at that cost and that's cheap these days. Ten doubles I used to do that when papers cost fourty a double. Look around and see if there any double cuts in there , shouldn't be any. I do them although I feel they are un ethicall because they always show in a few months. Also look for glue that didn't get washed off. Just saying if he cheats then the invoice is truly crap too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts