Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I beg all of you to help me and hope you will understand my problem, even though I'm no pro. Our painter, coming on Monday, told us we could "save some money" by taking DIF and a paper tiger and taking off our wallpaper before he came. Well, I'm scared to death now because I am down to some cardboard colored paper and underneath that is plaster or drywall (and even some of that plaster is getting chipped up) Is this right? Are we supposed to go all the way to the drywall?
Please email me at [email protected] because I put a message on our guy's voice mail and he has not answered yet. We are paying him big bucks but I'm scared to do more damage to our walls. Or is it okay to go all the way to the white plaster or drywall. Help!

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
jcorn59483 said:
First time I've ever seen someone offer an e-mail address link on their first post. Hmmmmm? Jcorn - we all benefit from this 'open air' forum of questions and answers. Keep checking back for responses.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
At this point I would say let you painter call the shots. You tried to save a few bucks and wound up with your butt in the grinder. If you would have let the pro do it, he would have done it right or dealt with it. As it is, he has to deal with a homeowners foulup.
Have you learned anything?
I use a computer guy to fix my computers. I'm a remodler but don't do roofing, I use roofers. Starting to get my drift?

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Jcorn - we all benefit from this 'open air' forum of questions and answers. Keep checking back for responses.
I agree.

Sounds like a mess. You tore off the sheetrock facing, exposing the underlayment of brown paper. Your painter should know how to fix this, but most likely will charge you more than you assumed before. If the painter screams and runs away, post back here and we'll tell ya how to fix it. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Teetorbilt said:
At this point I would say let you painter call the shots. You tried to save a few bucks and wound up with your butt in the grinder. If you would have let the pro do it, he would have done it right or dealt with it. As it is, he has to deal with a homeowners foulup.
Have you learned anything?

With all due respect, the PAINTER suggested we do this. He never told us about the "butt in the grinder part"

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
This thread smells funny - like stale POND water.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
jcorn, a word of advice, be careful posting replies with bold text and/or caps if you want help from the guys here.

BTW, you stated "Our painter, coming on Monday, told us we could "save some money" by taking DIF and a paper tiger and taking off our wallpaper before he came." Therefore, there was nothing you wrote to indicate to Teetor or anyone else that the painter "suggested" you to do it yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Wallpaper removal is a tricky job, since it is so unpredictable.
Removing wallpaper from a room can take as little as 2 hours, or as much as two days.

There are a lot of variables, type of wall paper, type of adhesive, how long it has been there. And it looks to me like you got some old wallpaper with some nasty adesive.

I would recomend that you take the paper off in layers, dont try to do it all at once. Wet once with dif and then remove what comes off, then wet again and so forth.

As for your question, YES, you are digging in too deep, that carboard paper is the outside surface of the drywall, but sometimes some wallpaper is stuck so hard that it pulls off the drywall surface. In this situation you will have to prime the walls with a good quality primer and then re texture the walls with joint compound then prime again.

I recomend you let the painter handle it from here even if he charges you more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It probably got over saturated and proceeded to damage the sheetrock. Can you maybe let dry and call the plasterman.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Geno you played it all wrong. First thing you should have done was went to a rent center and rented a wallpaper steamer. Then went to a home improvement store and bought a hand help wallpaper scorer. Its basically a tool that you run over the wallpaper and it puts holls in it. Then you fire up the steamer and steam the paper off the walls. If done properly you should be able to just pull the paper rite off the wall. I say leave it alone. Also that guy who told you to do it. Should have walked you through it the way i did. Saying go to so and so rent wallpaper steamer go to Lowes buy wallpaper hand held scorer and walked you through it. Now that i think about it maybe he wanted you to screw it up. But probably not.

·
Professional Tradesman
307 Posts
Wondering why the moderators on this site are so predictably nasty. Re: Pipeguy.
Wondering were the profesionalism has went. People post questions in hopes to get answers, not bashed by the moderator..
No offence ProWall..Not directed at you, you have always shown tact in your responces.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
FYI: this thread is a year old. Pipeguy responded in the way he did due to (at that time) a mess of posts by a member that went by the name of 'pondman'. It did look like one of his posts. And this was before pipeguy was a mod. As for me being tactful, well, being married to a redhead has taught me when and where to open my mouth, and how to pick my battles. I can be a real ass if I want, but I liek it here, so I treat it as my own house. Do unto others and all that hokey crap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hmmmm

sounds like the painter was too lazy or didn't want to remove the wallpaper. the same thing happened when i bought my first house way back when..........the certified asbestos contractor wanted me to remove some acoustic and go get it tested.........aahhhh.....why do you think i called you sir?......if i could remove it myself i wouldn't need you would i?

who knows what happened in this case but that guy should have looked for a new painter.

nice website by the way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts