Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed a non load bearing wall between a kitchen and living room. The living room has no center load bearing wall but instead 6”x8” beams running perpendicular to the joists roughly every 48”. They are supported by 3.5”x6” posts. The room is 13’x26’. Im trying to decide if the center beam can support the one half so I can get rid of the posts or do I put in a triple 2x12 beam to support the ends of the 2 exposed 6x8 beams. Another option is to put another 6x8 beams perpendicular to the others to span where the wall was. Btw, there’s no added support in the basement so those post are just sitting on the floor

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to KNOW what loads the beam will be supporting....
and
what is supporting that load at the ends of the beam to the ground.

Unless you've done a ton of framing, guessing that a couple 2x12s might be good enough........they might........they might not.

And you are concentrating the load on that single (3rd) post....how is it supported to ground?

I only chimed in because you have a dog........dogs are the best.
The center beam is obviously where the ceiling joists overlap and that’s supported by the exterior wall/foundation on one side and the other side a 3.5”x6” post upstairs with a lally column in the basement. My question was more of how much could the 2 beams in question actually be doing considering the interior posts were supported only by the floor without anything underneath in the basement. I think 2 2x12’s should be enough to take the weight of those 2

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your field of construction so we can better assist you

Mike
I’m not sure how my field would help you better assist me or changes my question. Unless, I’ll say something like painter, then you can tell me I’m unqualified to handle this. It looks like remodeling

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Homeowner remodeling, ok. In what part of remodeling is a 4x6 called a 3.5x6? Or would that be a 3.5x5.5. Perhaps you need a h/o engineer to go w/your h/o remodeling

Mike

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I’m not sure how my field would help you better assist me or changes my question. Unless, I’ll say something like painter, then you can tell me I’m unqualified to handle this. It looks like remodeling
You’ve already proven you are unqualified.

Who would remove a load bearing wall without a plan to support the house?

We sometimes ask for the field you are in because this is a site for contractors. Sometimes we’re kind enough to help. Other times, not so much. Depends on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Remodel
31,148 Posts
If your question is whether 2 posts with no real structural support are structural, usually not. It's super easy to tell, take a sawzall to them, and if it binds tight, it's carrying load.

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Homeowner remodeling, ok. In what part of remodeling is a 4x6 called a 3.5x6? Or would that be a 3.5x5.5. Perhaps you need a h/o engineer to go w/your h/o remodeling

Mike
It’s called 3.5x6 when that’s the actual dimensions because it’s rough cut lumber! Kingcarpenter trolling a forum in the middle of the day instead of working. You must be good

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It w
You’ve already proven you are unqualified.

Who would remove a load bearing wall without a plan to support the house?

We sometimes ask for the field you are in because this is a site for contractors. Sometimes we’re kind enough to help. Other times, not so much. Depends on you.

It wasn’t a load bearing wall. Unbelievable

·
Read Only
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m going to get back to working while the rest of you spend your day on a forum making yourselves feel good about being jobless

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I’m going to get back to working while the rest of you spend your day on a forum making yourselves feel good about being jobless
I make money at work while knowing what I'm doing I'm not at work on the internet asking what I'm supposed to be doing like yourself.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
It w

It wasn’t a load bearing wall. Unbelievable
I see it now. Missed earlier.

I guess the talk about a double 2 x 12 led me to believe it was a loadbearing wall.
It doesn’t need anything then. Good to go.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
And this is the part where these threads get shut down.

Most of us here are jobless.

We’re business owners.

I’m happy to sit here and banter. I’m still making money.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts