Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mild disaster, I tried to remove old wall paper most came off ok. I have several spots that I can't seem to dissolve the old paste/paper with the wallpaper remover. I have torn the exterior of the sheet rock and have a ragged mess of stuck on paper. My walls are flat surface. Any ideas of what I can do?

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Replace the the parts of sheetrock that need it. Or tear until its off then patch it. BTW... this is the forum that pertains to masonry. Which is concrete, brick, block, stone, etc.. You might not get as many ideas in here as you would in say, normal construction forum, or painting, or remodeling. ;)

·
Painting Contractor
1,176 Posts
juliepe said:
I have a mild disaster, I tried to remove old wall paper most came off ok. I have several spots that I can't seem to dissolve the old paste/paper with the wallpaper remover. I have torn the exterior of the sheet rock and have a ragged mess of stuck on paper. My walls are flat surface. Any ideas of what I can do?
I would clean as much of the adhesive as possible off. Use vineger and warm water and spray it on the wall,(the parts with wallpaper adhesive) let it sit for a minute or two and scrape it off with a wide putty knife. Then your going to need to skim coat the patches that have been damaged. Get yourself some joint compound and go to town. You may need to put several coats of the stuff on, be patient and follow the directions for recoat times. A recent bathroom I did took several coats of joint compound and two days to get smooth.

Prime before and after!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
You may have run into repaired sections and God only knows what the HO or handyman used. I'd break out the orbital sander.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.