Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone build any custom wall niches? Im not really interested in the prefab ones you install,well maybe..

I've built the second one into a 2x4 wall with the bottom ledge that sticks out, complete has about 5" of shelf space. I found the second one on the net im looking to build that. The wall I have to work with is a 2x4" i don't think 3.5" would be enough I don't want to have a ledge this time just all built into the wall

any ideas anyones

Attachments

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Your question is not clear, if you have a 2x4 wall 3 1/2" plus 1/2" rock is all you have to deal with, unless of coarse you have a closet behind:thumbsup:GMOD

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
If no closet behind the proposed area, depending how large (long) the wall is, you could strip the drywall and fir out the entire wall to your desired depth, re-drywall, and install the niche.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
OK, I'll bite, WTF are those things?

What, isn't it obvious, from left to right----Santa Playing Tennis-----A Praying Dolphin-----An Alien-------2 More Aliens Standing on a Spaceship-----And An Eskimo with a Helium Baloon and a stick.:thumbsup:, I hope that clears things up, GMOD

·
Banned
3,020 Posts
A collection of Eskimo Carvings

The one sure does look like an alien.

An the other his spacecraft.

I'll ask about them now that it's been brought up.

I just snapped the pic and went home. Never really looked at them until you described them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
black = framing
blue = bent drywall

I how however never installed a recessed light into my niche. Can someone shed some light on how they frame the arch/angel at the top so there would be room to install a recessed can?. I've always just framed my archs like that.

Attachments

·
Contractor
4,764 Posts
I think the above pictures represent a wall deeper than 3.5" making it easier for recessed lighting.

how about rope LED lighting-would that work?

·
Balding quickly
954 Posts
yeah I have done that a few times and used puck lighting. I just carved the space with a hole saw into a 2x on top and then the other had three lights so I made the arch with 3/4 inch ply and then just put it against the insides of where the rock would go, then chiseled some space on the edges so the pucks would fit and stuck little backers above them. Then just bent the sheetrock to it. Both times like that I removed the rock on the whole wall though I have done lightless ones where I just cut it out and put a header in and then wrapped it with rock and finished it on a non bearing wall. Thats easiest.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how to incorporate rope lighting, I only like the effect when you can't see the rope just the ray of light. Do puck lights use an invertor or can i wire them to a switch and a 120v box ?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya those are actually the only ones I've seen around. I guess I could just always setup a plug in the basement and run the outlet from a switch if have be :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts