Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to install a Cadet wall heater in a attic that I turned into a
library room.This room is 4 floors up from the basement so getting a 240 run from the panel to this room would be next to impossible.The Cadet wall heater is 120 volt and their is 14/2 wire run into the room.Can this 120 volt
heater get hooked up to the 14/2 run? Any suggestions on how to do this.

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
How many watts is the heater?
What else is on this 14/2?

·
Fentoozler
5,623 Posts
I'd get another circuit up there....pipe it up the outside/in a stairwell if you have to.

·
Registered
428 Posts
heater

If you put 6 x 23 watt flourescents in the cans and run the heater you have a whopping 2 amps to play with. Maybe you can run a stereo if your lucky. Even better if you have a Federal Pacific panel you could run several heaters I'm guessing. Good luck I would'nt do it. I'd just run a new dedicated line up there for the heater and be done with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think that gives you 8.33 amps just for heater, now find out the wattage on each can light, and what loads on those receptacles, and you'll know if you can or not. Not worth the trouble of resetting breaker all the time or be limited to what you can run. Try to put 1 or 2 new circuits up there.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Circuit

Seriously, you should'nt do that. Those other rec. are carrying all that load and if you have 1 loose connection somewhere along the line your place could go up in smoke. I've fixed at least 50 burnt/crispy rec. that were fried due to space heaters. Look for a plumbing pipe and try dropping a chain or you can always pop out of panel area and run a conduit outside then pop in somewhere. If your darned and determined not to run a new one at least put an arc fault on that circuit.

Good Luck

Wall Heaters are no laughing matter!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bubbles is correct, space heaters cause lots of problems. Lots of people plug there 1k watt heaters into 15a branch circuits and we see lots of problems from it. If the house was well wired and northing else is on the circuit your space heater will run fine. If your going to run 300 watts in lights and your computer and your space heater, there is going to be problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
...This room is 4 floors up from the basement so getting a 240 run from the panel to this room would be next to impossible...
Believe it or not fishing a wire from the basement to the attic may not be as tough as you think. Your main plumbing and heating stacks should be running from the basement to the attic space .. and they generally have some room beside them that you can fish a wire through. They are also generally a fairly straight shot so you can get from floor to floor without to much hassle. So with a bit of luck .. and maybe some minor drywall patching ... you should be able to get a new wire to the attic space for your heater.

What i wouldn't recommend is adding to an electrical circuit that you not even 100% sure what's on it. It is entirely possible that other electrical devices are on that circuit that your not aware of.

I'm also wondering why you think you need a 240V circuit brought up for a 120V heater ... Are you planning to put more items in the room if you had more power for them?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts