Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure what it's called. I was looking online about skim coating my paneling in the kitchen and ran across a post about a Wall covering that shrinks when it dries and smooths out over the gaps in the paneling.

Is this a thing? Can you just paint it after, or skim coat it? The paneling is over t&g 1x, so it is pretty solid. I can tack the piss out if it if needed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
On a job where it wa used, looked a lot like a smoother fibafuse. Worked very well, they just painted right over it. Called it wall liner i think.

·
Registered
26,163 Posts
Haven't heard of a new one that shrinks when it dries. Originally canvas was used on plaster wall, then canvassing paper. Now there are 3' wide rolls of fine fiberglass mesh. None of that seems to be exactly what you're talking about.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm basically looking for a lazy way to cover the fugly paneling in my kitchen. I could hang sheetrock, but don't want to if I can avoid it.

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On a job where it wa used, looked a lot like a smoother fibafuse. Worked very well, they just painted right over it. Called it wall liner i think.
That seems to be it. Lots of options, now I just need to find a quality version. It looks to be similar to the old wall coverings in old houses. The canvas type would actually fit well with our house.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I believe It is called Wonder Cover, it is a liner paper. You hang it horizontal across the paneling gaps.
The process recommended it to primer the panelling with oil primer to block any possible staining. Then prime with wallpaper primer and ready to hang. The wall liner seams can be filled with spackle if needed, the liner paper has a primer finish on it so it is ready for paint. I will see if I can dig out a product code if you need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts