Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to put a 8 inch (2 rows of 4x16) subway ceramic tile stripe on a drywalled wall. It's aesthetics not protection of a wet area. I have run into an issue where the wall has a bad concave of about 18" long and 1/2" deep in 1 area. Whats the best way to get this filled in to get the tiles running flat. I was thinking of feathering drywall mud in the area and priming it but not sure the tile would end up sticking to it. Since it would be so thick.Then I thought mortar but would it slump and not stay in the area till dry.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have been asked to put a 8 inch (2 rows of 4x16) subway ceramic tile stripe on a drywalled wall. It's aesthetics not protection of a wet area. I have run into an issue where the wall has a bad concave of about 18" long and 1/2" deep in 1 area. Whats the best way to get this filled in to get the tiles running flat. I was thinking of feathering drywall mud in the area and priming it but not sure the tile would end up sticking to it. Since it would be so thick.Then I thought mortar but would it slump and not stay in the area till dry.
You can use thinset, if it slumps you've got it way too thin Why wouldn't tile stick to mud? Although I wouldn't use mud 1/2" deep.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure just something about a 1/2" of mud on the wall that makes me un easy. Painting it is 1 thing but mastic a few tiles over it seems not right.

·
Paul
4,120 Posts
I use Ardex Featherfinish to float walls all the time. Mix it thick and screed it off, using a drywall knife to smooth the edges in. It will stick to everything and tile will bond to it no matter what thin set you use. Depending on the severity it's quicker than shimming studs for a small area. I'll skim my corners in nice and square with it too.

Reactions: Creter

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Tec 3n1 quick solution to your issue

1 - 6 of 6 Posts