Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't do decks but It seems I need to branch out my services to stay succesfully self employed. My Nieghbor asked me to build a Trex walkway from thier deck to the curb and 2 small sections to the drive way. In the picture the deck I have to build off of is in the back, there's about a 2'elev from the street. *I was going to use deck-blox for the footings?? (1)First I would start with the small walkways off the drive way to the left, flush w/the driveway? (2)Then elevate the long stretch to step up tapping into the steps at the deck(those steps are not secured), (3) and a small step down section to the street, maybe at the tree?? EH?

Attachments

·
Registered
Retired deck builder
8,342 Posts
Yea & don't worry what the specs say you can do 24" centers no problemo.:laughing:

Sorry guy, can't help you with trex.

Remember the golden rule of construction, don't do work for friends or family. I think neighbors would apply to that rule.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First, the brush and various scattered garbage needs to be cleared out so I can see what the heckler you're tryna accomplish.:thumbsup:

Work for neighbors? Uhh..:no:
It's a striaght shot to the deck in the picture!!!! What brush and scattered garbage??? Holy cow! Are you guy's kidding me?? Not do work for nieghbors?? Is that how little confidence you have in your work??? You screw some thing up ..you fix it! You install some thing they don't like, fix it, or just don'! Whatever it takes to cooperate and make them happy so they will refer you to some one else. What I've learned is not to barter, Don't do a job with the expectstions of the client coming through with some thing for payment besides money.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It's a striaght shot to the deck in the picture!!!! What brush and scattered garbage??? Holy cow! Are you guy's kidding me?? Not do work for nieghbors?? Is that how little confidence you have in your work??? You screw some thing up ..you fix it! You install some thing they don't like, fix it, or just don'! Whatever it takes to cooperate and make them happy so they will refer you to some one else. What I've learned is not to barter, Don't do a job with the expectstions of the client coming through with some thing for payment besides money.
No dude, youre wrong. Dont do work for neighbors especially. It has nothing to do with the quality of your work. It has to do with the differences of opinions, or change orders, or handshake agreements, or the definition of what is deemed acceptable and reasonable. You are playing with fire and could end up warrantying this deck till you move away. If youve used trex you know it can split and warp with the weather. It is not perfect by any stretch. Dont worry though, you will see soon enough.

Side Note: Dont talk about other's skill when youre the one going out of your element to stay busy. If youre the best at what you do, the work will find you.

·
Pro
506 Posts
So I don't do decks but It seems I need to branch out my services to stay succesfully self employed. My Nieghbor asked me to build a Trex walkway from thier deck to the curb and 2 small sections to the drive way. In the picture the deck I have to build off of is in the back, there's about a 2'elev from the street. *I was going to use deck-blox for the footings?? (1)First I would start with the small walkways off the drive way to the left, flush w/the driveway? (2)Then elevate the long stretch to step up tapping into the steps at the deck(those steps are not secured), (3) and a small step down section to the street, maybe at the tree?? EH?
sell him on pavers and a stoop if you're going out of your element anyway. what you're describing sounds like a pain in the nuts, next to impossible to make look decent and will get destroyed shortly. deck blocks provide nothing in terms of tying this abomination down so it will float. the sticks will dry up and curl and make the trex look even worse than they originally do. other than that - great idea!

·
Pro
506 Posts
No dude, youre wrong. Dont do work for neighbors especially. It has nothing to do with the quality of your work. It has to do with the differences of opinions, or change orders, or handshake agreements, or the definition of what is deemed acceptable and reasonable. You are playing with fire and could end up warrantying this deck till you move away. If youve used trex you know it can split and warp with the weather. It is not perfect by any stretch. Dont worry though, you will see soon enough.

Side Note: Dont talk about other's skill when youre the one going out of your element to stay busy. If youre the best at what you do, the work will find you.
maybe he can make a name for himself on this high-profile project:eek:

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
That is some good advice about doing work for family members or good friends. Still fixing EON decks with crayon John?? LOL

That was so completley Funny Clemens!!! Remember the 100 birthday of crayons??? Man we had some major Grins with that.

Zipper you got a little to learn bout the bad ol Deck Business. But welcome A Borad anyway.:thumbup: J.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
No dude, youre wrong. Dont do work for neighbors especially. It has nothing to do with the quality of your work. It has to do with the differences of opinions, or change orders, or handshake agreements, or the definition of what is deemed acceptable and re.asonable. You are playing with fire and could end up warrantying this deck till you move away. If youve used trex you know it can split and warp with the weather. It is not perfect by any stretch. Dont worry though, you will see soon enough.

Opps, quoted wrong post

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts

Hmmm, let's see. You come asking for help from deck professionals with a "plan" that includes using deck blocks AND trex.

Then when you're given advice you respond by slamming the pros that actually gave you some.

Honestly, you're lucky you got any decent responses in the first place. So you go ahead and build your walkway with deck blocks and trex.

And please post some pics - we'd all LOVE to see them :w00t:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
It's not lack of confidence, blowhard. It's because everytime something goes wrong with an install (like the door you put in 10 years ago), they want you to come over and fix it for free. Family and neighbors never feel that your time is important.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmmm, let's see. You come asking for help from deck professionals with a "plan" that includes using deck blocks AND trex.

Then when you're given advice you respond by slamming the pros that actually gave you some.

Honestly, you're lucky you got any decent responses in the first place. So you go ahead and build your walkway with deck blocks and trex.

And please post some pics - we'd all LOVE to see them :w00t:
BLOWHARD! YOUNG BUCK!! ZIPPER!!!??? ;)WTF?? Actually...I haven't got any advice on the deck!! No one has given me any input on the walkway, a little from ClemS. Just bashing working for nieghbors or family...and now me! Common sense tells me that if you need the work(I've been licensed for only 14mo now and have done plenty of work for family and nieghbors......all your guys phone's where ringing off the hook your first year of contracting huh?)..... and want your business to survive you don't turn down work or pick and choose your client's/projects in your first year, unless it's something that doesn't fall into you trade. I would hope any client feels they could call back thier contractor for a question or to adjust something. Heck, I've actually had client's have me do more work for them after they called me back down the road to adjust something. Going out of my element....it's called a challenge! Yes, I will post pictures of the walkway......if they have me do it.:thumbsup:

·
Pro
506 Posts
BLOWHARD! YOUNG BUCK!! ZIPPER!!!??? ;)WTF?? Actually...I haven't got any advice on the deck!! No one has given me any input on the walkway, a little from ClemS. Just bashing working for nieghbors or family...and now me! Common sense tells me that if you need the work(I've been licensed for only 14mo now and have done plenty of work for family and nieghbors......all your guys phone's where ringing off the hook your first year of contracting huh?)..... and want your business to survive you don't turn down work or pick and choose your client's/projects in your first year, unless it's something that doesn't fall into you trade. I would hope any client feels they could call back thier contractor for a question or to adjust something. Heck, I've actually had client's have me do more work for them after they called me back down the road to adjust something. Going out of my element....it's called a challenge! Yes, I will post pictures of the walkway......if they have me do it.:thumbsup:
like i said before, go the masonry route. nothing but problems the other way. and don't take getting abused here too close to heart, tradesmen are a notoriously miserable bunch:whistling

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
You just answered your own question and what everyone has been telling you. You don't have the knowledge or experience to do this and there for should not do it. The methods you described to do it will self destruct in rapid order. Do some research on the materials and discover for your self.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
That is not the place for decking.
Put your creative hat on and come up with a nice landscape stair design then put on your sales hat and convince your good neighbor that you are the man for the job and your recommendation is in his best interest.

That, young man, is how you will have a second and third year in business.

I can remember driving away after signing a contract and grabbing a deposit check and nearly having an anxiety attack because I hadn't a clue how to pull off what I had sold. That was near 30 yrs ago but I remember it well.
I know where you are at. You have to grow a little and this is what it looks like.

The advise you are seeking is that you need a better idea. Come up with one. Draw it up and make presentation. Stop being so sensitive and you will get a ton of help from centuries of experience here.

·
Pro
506 Posts
You just answered your own question and what everyone has been telling you. You don't have the knowledge or experience to do this and there for should not do it. The methods you described to do it will self destruct in rapid order. Do some research on the materials and discover for your self.

he IS doing research.:thumbup: he is here asking questions.
i myself learned by doing, not by research, and don't think it could've turned out any better for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.