Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you guys have an opinion on walkin tubs, good ones ? ones to stay away from? Need to remodel our bath room and thinking about installing one for my daughter how has health issues.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I have a bid on a bath that is going to get one---so I'll be watching this---the only thing I have learned is they take a long time to drain and you're stuck inside until it finishes---so consider the optional evacuation pump to speed up the draining.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
I've done quite a few now. These are really gaining in popularity.

When this trend first started they were very expensive and pretty crappy as well. But times have changed. Prices have dropped considerably and now the big players who understand manufacturing have entered the game. Quality has really increased.

One of the biggest problems with these were the door seals. Not only did they have sealing issues but it took a lot of strength to shut them. That is no longer the case. Things have really improved. I would highly recommend one.

Most units come self contained and have a pumped discharge. They drain pretty fast and are easy to hook up.

Unlike a shower where you want the largest unit you can fit, these are sized the opposite. You want it snug to your body and you want everything within arms reach.

If you have any questions and want to hook it up give me a call. But honestly, these are dead simple to hook up and they ship it right to your front door.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well right now our only bathroom has only a shower, which is just fine for me. But the wife and daughter could benefit from hydro -therapy. Wife was thinking of a jetted tub, but I think a walkin would be better suited. Both have had strokes , daughter is a right side hemiplegic. Causing her to have certain mobility problems. I just think a tub even with grab bars will make things hard and maybe more dangerous for them.

It would be a fair project seeing I would have to add on to the house some to increase the bathroom size , make it more handicap usable. I can do al the job myself , and she has help with the cost of a tub or walkin.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Well right now our only bathroom has only a shower, which is just fine for me. But the wife and daughter could benefit from hydro -therapy. Wife was thinking of a jetted tub, but I think a walkin would be better suited. Both have had strokes , daughter is a right side hemiplegic. Causing her to have certain mobility problems. I just think a tub even with grab bars will make things hard and maybe more dangerous for them.

It would be a fair project seeing I would have to add on to the house some to increase the bathroom size , make it more handicap usable. I can do al the job myself , and she has help with the cost of a tub or walkin.
I had a guy call me who ordered one online and installed it himself. He asked me if I would come over and inspect his work. It was a really neat unit and he lives close by. I'll stop over and take a photo of it for you.

He installed it in his laundry room.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a guy call me who ordered one online and installed it himself. He asked me if I would come over and inspect his work. It was a really neat unit and he lives close by. I'll stop over and take a photo of it for you.

He installed it in his laundry room.
Thanks that would really be great of you.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
OK, I had a chat with the owners after 2 years on what they thought long term.

The door seal has never once leaked and the therapeutic jets are really enjoyable. The drain is a gravity feed and they felt it drained very fast. The unit comes with a Moen roman tub setup and everything is in easy reach while sitting. They are more than happy, they said it was worth every penny. He couldn't quite remember the cost but thought it was about $3,800.

The unit is 54" x 29-1/4". It also comes with accessories not seen because they didn't need to use it. The handheld sprayer comes with a wall mount if desired and the tub comes with fiberglass extensions in different sizes in case you want to fill the gap in a standard 60" tub opening.

The unit was ordered online @ www.americanwalkintubs.com and the actual unit model is called the "freedom".

Shipping was fast and went well. I wasn't part of that process but that's what he told me.

Hope that helps your daughter out.
Mike

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, I had a chat with the owners after 2 years on what they thought long term.

The door seal has never once leaked and the therapeutic jets are really enjoyable. The drain is a gravity feed and they felt it drained very fast. The unit comes with a Moen roman tub setup and everything is in easy reach while sitting. They are more than happy, they said it was worth every penny. He couldn't quite remember the cost but thought it was about $3,800.

The unit is 54" x 29-1/4". It also comes with accessories not seen because they didn't need to use it. The handheld sprayer comes with a wall mount if desired and the tub comes with fiberglass extensions in different sizes in case you want to fill the gap in a standard 60" tub opening.

The unit was ordered online @ www.americanwalkintubs.com and the actual unit model is called the "freedom".

Shipping was fast and went well. I wasn't part of that process but that's what he told me.

Hope that helps your daughter out.
Mike
Thanks alot Mike , for doing this. that is well within the price range I would be allowed to spend.

Just need to get busy and get the remodel planned out and aproved.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
FYI: Every time I've done these I received a check from an insurance company. It's worth investigating is all I'm saying. Same with the federal government. You're paying in.......mine as well get something back. Lol

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FYI: Every time I've done these I received a check from an insurance company. It's worth investigating is all I'm saying. Same with the federal government. You're paying in.......mine as well get something back. Lol
That is pretty much how this would be paid for . She gets SSI and now there is some back money they owe us that can only be used for certain things like this.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts