Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a call from a person yest. he says he needs a couple of rotten boards on a deck replaced. Ok, so drive up there, look around ?? I don't see a wood deck, but there is a deck with vinyl on it. He comes out, and moves an old wood pallet that is sitting on the deck- there's an area about 3' x 5' where the plywood underneath the vinyl is gone - he says "no leak! deck is good!" (asian gentleman english as a second language) he then show's me inside the garage (deck above) where there's "no leak" he says take off some gyproc, then put a new piece of plywood up underneath the vinyl ... sigh...

I explain that the whole deck is shot, to do a partial fix would not work, nor could you do it as when you try to fix things like this it generally reveals way more damage than is apparent on the surface.

He's insisting "easy fix" just put in plywood!" sigh... the edge of the vinyl where it wraps over the edge of the deck has lifted, so I figured that's where the water is coming in- which is why he can't see any water leaks inside the garage. Anyway I tell him that its too big a job for me, and I recommend that he get one of the deck oufits in town.

I often wonder why they call me as I advertise trim/finishing in the paper, there's lotsa deck outfits advertising as well, so I'm thinkin that he's heard this before from other more qualified guys.

No way he will do that! I just know he's gonna hire a person who will do some sort of patch, cash the check and run.

On another happy note :) guy calls up "you do doors?" yes. "I got buddy, 7 doors, how much you charge?" I says 50/hr figure 2 hrs per door (remove, take to dump, install new, trim etc) He says "I am contractor, you give me contractor price" ..... sigh..... ok I says "1,400" he says ok good, I call you back LOL he didn't call.. I wonder why??? LOL I just know that one would turn into "do it cheap, next one will pay good" stuff.

Other than that- getting lots of sales this month! got a nice one yest morning, bit of crown (70') and base shoe (120') and the fact that I have a federal tax # tipped the scales in my favour. It pays to be legit!!! (our gov't right now is offering a 15% tax credit on home reno's up to a max of 10g's roughly)

Coffee's on!!!!

Laurie.

http://www.lauriescustomfinishing.ca

·
Banned
66 Posts
alot of asians and indians try to play the slick businessman role. you have to immediately cut them down to size harshly because they probably are not going to choose a contractor who will do the job correctly anyway.
you just tell them that you don't ALLOW potential customers to take the cheap way out and do chop jobs. you have seen it done many times before by uneducated home owners who try and be slick but wind up costing themselves lots of money; so thats cut the nonsense and do this thing right."

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
I had a sirry asian guy try this same thing with me. Said he had been "interviewing" contractors for almost 2 yrs. His place was horrible. Wanted to fix the place up, get a new paint on it, CHANGE the siding on the front... but ALL the others were too expensive.. he just KNEW I could help him out :rolleyes: I told him that he needs to get it fixed and soon and good luck to him on that. Nice enough guy, but nice doesn't pay the bills.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Its funny how some people don't realize you've heard the same thing a hundred times before and know better..or understand that its just not worth getting involved with them unless you will make a little bit of money.

My wife used to end up with me at sales calls once in awhile, I remember she got mad once because I gave someone a fifteen minute estimate and we were back in the car headed home, thought I was being rude.

I always figure the best thing to do with that type situation is to waste as little more time as possible on it.:furious:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Just tell 'em that they can't afford you. When it comes to that, a lot of people from the middle east/asia will pay you just to save face...;)
This actually does work. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think its in their culture to try to renegotiate price at the end, it's happened twice. I never bend though, a contract is signed and thats the price. The guy says "I don't agree with the contract and my wife is a lawyer." My response was "SHE also signed it...here is the invoice."

Now if I cant understand you on the phone I turn it down

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I think its in their culture to try to renegotiate price at the end, it's happened twice. I never bend though, a contract is signed and thats the price. The guy says "I don't agree with the contract and my wife is a lawyer." My response was "SHE also signed it...here is the invoice."

Now if I cant understand you on the phone I turn it down
I think your right. Back when I was selling mortgages I put together a sweet deal for a gal of such decent. It was a refi. on 6 properties.
We got to the closing table and she and her sister, who was a lawyer, tried to get me to come way down on my closing cost which were already extreemly low because of the package deal.

I walked away. Forget that. Cost her more in the end. rates went up and the appraiser charged her a nice sum to change the appraisals for the bank:laughing:

As fate would have it, this same lady called me a few months back to give her a quote on a repaint. I reminded her of what she did to me several years ago and told her I only do business with ethical people.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok some good advise here- thanks guys!

I should'a heeded my gut when I got that phone call...

·
Registered
938 Posts
A couple of years ago I went to price a small deck for an East Indian gentleman. All seemd fine, he was nice, new what he wanted, etc... He thought the price I gave him was reasonable (acceptable). Then he says he wants to pay me in coupons!! Yes, COUPONS??? He was going to buy the material and pay for my labour with coupons for restaurants, retail outlets, car washes, etc... I was back in the truck and gone within seconds!!

Just have to add, I don't think it had anything to do with the fact he was East Indian. I've done lots of work for all kinds of people of all different races and back grounds without issue. This guy was just a cheap ass!!

·
Painter/Rehaber
399 Posts
I think you made that up.:laughing::laughing:

·
Service & Repairs
4,001 Posts
Just tell 'em that they can't afford you. When it comes to that, a lot of people from the middle east/asia will pay you just to save face...;)
I'm definitely going to try that some time. I need all the advice I can get right now so thanks. I worked for an indian guy today who rented a house, paid me exactly what I quoted him, and didn't even attempt to negotiate with me. That doesn't happen very often, especially from Craigslist users.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think you made that up.:laughing::laughing:
Nope!! Swear to God, the guy had gift certificates, coupons, free car wash certificates, etc... A whack of them. He tried to tell me it was as good as money. I told him, I'd rather not have to eat at Perkins every day for the next 6 months to make it worth my while!! I walked - actually ran away.

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
It prolly would have went like this if you took the job.

Me pain in ass, me also chinese and play trick, me put stop payment on your check!

·
Registered
440 Posts
It prolly would have went like this if you took the job.

Me pain in ass, me also chinese and play trick, me put stop payment on your check!
I'm German. Remember the Russian Offensive in the early forties that caused the deaths of 20,000,000 Soviets? Stopped check for a remodeling job we did in Poland.

Don't mess with us bro.:no:

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I'm German. Remember the Russian Offensive in the early forties that caused the deaths of 20,000,000 Soviets? Stopped check for a remodeling job we did in Poland.

Don't mess with us bro.:no:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts