Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People asked me to make a wainscoting calculator for blocklayer com
We don't do wainscoting here - my walls are all concrete block (holds up well to kids) so not really up to scratch on wainscoting.
But I think the calculator should cover most of the options you'd need to work out wainscoting layout spacing, and material quantities.
There's a true scaled live diagram, so as you adjust panel and stile sizes and position wit the slider controls, you can see the result instantly (animated).
You can also add electrical outlets and wall openings (windows) to make sure they miss stiles, and add people to the diagram for visual perspective.
When you get a wall as you want it, add it to the list for a layout sheet with quantities.
So please tell me what you think (I've been here before and know what to expect, so let rip if it sucks)
It lives here: Wainscoting Calculator

·
Registered
984 Posts
That is slick as owl snot.

I had a problem with the opening options. I entered 24,30,80,80 and it said it would not fit. Also, how do you get the opening to layout from the right?

·
Registered
GC
218 Posts
That's pretty nice. Could you add a button to lock the stile and top rail widths to each other?

Also, not a whole lot of diversity in the people scale overlay. Woke crowd might cancel you. Could you add tranny, multiracial, handicapable conjoined twins?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wainscoting Calculator
I had a problem with the opening options. I entered 24,30,80,80 and it said it would not fit. Also, how do you get the opening to layout from the right?
It wouldn't accept an opening with a head height equal to opening height (a floor up opening or door)
Fixed now - thanks for that.
I could put an option for openings from right side to left, but it would probably just add more complexity to all the input options already there, so I think for now I'l leave it left to right, and you'd need to work out the left side - ie: wall length - right side of opening - opening width.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could you add a button to lock the stile and top rail widths to each other?
Also, not a whole lot of diversity in the people scale overlay. Woke crowd might cancel you. Could you add tranny, multiracial, handicapable conjoined twins?
The Rails and Stile entries should stay as entered as you change the panel options - not sure what you mean by 'lock the stile and top rail widths to each other' ?
Good point on the diversity angle though.
Maybe I should just remove everyone and put Greta Thunberg in there.
Then when everyone realizes the world will end soon, the rest won't matter so much.

·
Registered
GC
218 Posts
The Rails and Stile entries should stay as entered as you change the panel options - not sure what you mean by 'lock the stile and top rail widths to each other' ?
Good point on the diversity angle though.
Maybe I should just remove everyone and put Greta Thunberg in there.
Then when everyone realizes the world will end soon, the rest won't matter so much.
Can you make a button that when checked will make the top rail and stiles always be equal and when one is changed either by entry or slider the other automatically updates?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can you make a button that when checked will make the top rail and stiles always be equal and when one is changed either by entry or slider the other automatically updates?
Not real keen to add too many check boxes and options - it just makes it more complicated looking. (been there, done that - ends up a mess)
Can you give me some more clues on why this would be a good idea? (as I said, we don't do wainscoting, so I might miss a bit here)
Anyway, the binding of the Stile Width and Top Rail Width is trivial (apart from the visual look and complexity of adding the option)
So to test, if you hold down your keyboard CTRL key while dragging the Stile Width slider, the Top Rail and Stile Width will 'bind' (up to a point)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts